Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 timing 2.4 non turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2012, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 timing 2.4 non turbo

I'm working on my wife's car and cannot seem to keep the crankshaft timing mark lined up after releasing the tensioner. I take up the slack with the exhaust cam and the belt still draws up the crankshaft sprocket. I did this same job 4 years ago for her and do not remember it being this difficult. Can anyone offer suggestions/tips/tricks?

Thank you
Old 08 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 timing 2.4 non turbo

This is as close as I can seem to get it, however when I had it this close earlier in the week it idled a little rough yet while driving it was great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2324.JPG (57.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.jpg (41.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.JPG (80.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2345.JPG (72.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 09 Dec 2012, 08:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT
(1) Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
(2) Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.
CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.
(3) Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.
(4) Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.

Here is a tip that's too late for you (sorry). Mark the timing belt and sprockets and transfer the marks to the new belt. You can't miss on the installation of the new belt. Once installed, you should be able to place a straight edge across all 4 timing camshaft timing marks while at TDC to be 100% sure. It felt reassuring when the straight edge went right into the marks.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 09 Dec 2012 at 08:53 am.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When taking the exhaust down 1/2 a tooth is the belt on or off? Am I too hold tension on either cam while slipping belt onto tensioner? Will the tensioner take up the slack on its own as I am finding that the crankshaft will move?

Thank you by the way for responding, I really appreciate it.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 05:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOneill View Post
When taking the exhaust down 1/2 a tooth is the belt on or off? Am I too hold tension on either cam while slipping belt onto tensioner? Will the tensioner take up the slack on its own as I am finding that the crankshaft will move?

Thank you by the way for responding, I really appreciate it.
Move the exhaust cam while the belt is off. Thread the belt on as recommended, keeping it as tight as you can. When you pull the pin or allen wrench or whatever you used to lock the tensioner, the exhaust cam should move instead of the crank. If it doesn't, you curse, take the belt off, and try again.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you zamfir2,

I had to move onto another project before I went crazy messing with this today. I am back on it tonight, and I was wondering if all of the slack is taken out on the intake side by threading it as tight as I can will the action of the exhaust tightening on the intake cam not cause the crankshaft to be moved as well. I ask because that is what I am experiencing. Thanks again for helping.