Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with angry thermostats?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2012, 12:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Help with angry thermostats?

Soooo you all probably already know of my annoying heating/cooling issues on my PT.

Well i've solved...well....half solved the problem.

You see this past summer she would overheat no matter what i did. I ended up replacing the radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, temp sensor, and flushing the engine.

Now its cold out!. And my car never seemed to get to temp. So through natural thinking i replaced the thermostat. that worked :-)! for a week. Then i replaced the thermostat again. And once again i had heat......for a week.

Took it to my local big name shop and they tested the thermo i had in it.

Rated at 80*f and she was opening at 76*. SO once again i replaced the thermostat with one that opened at 95*f. in the hopes that doing so would allow the coolant to get hotter, and flow hotter, thus keeping the engine warm.

Nope. Im on my 5th thermostat since july and according to the shop, it keeps sticking open. which makes absolutely no sense seeing as the last thermo i put in is strictly a NON failsafe so that it wouldnt stick open.

My question to you guru's . Why have 5 straight in a row thermostats failed on me? my engine temp never goes above 105 even when i really hurt on her. and yet they keep sticking? they last about 1-2 weeks. and as you know in this car changing the thermo is a bit invasive , and while only $7 a piece i dont wanna keep pulling them out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with angry thermostats?

If you have not already done so try a *STANT thermostat next time.

I could not think of why you are having these kinds of anomalies with the thermostats. Generally the thing that kills one is exposing it to extreme heat which changes the thermal action in the spring they have?

*I had my own Performance Thermostats line for about 6 years. The base unit before I machined it for the special application was a STANT. In all the years I never had one fail or work properly. STANT's are a very good quality thermostat.

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Dec 2012 at 06:10 pm.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 01:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I certainly hope that you mean "C" (celsius) and not "f".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Soooo you all probably already know of my annoying heating/cooling issues on my PT...

Rated at 80*f and she was opening at 76*. SO once again i replaced the thermostat with one that opened at 95*f. in the hopes that doing so would allow the coolant to get hotter, and flow hotter, thus keeping the engine warm.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
from the 2003 shop manual
"minimum engine operating temperature of 88 to
93C (192 to 199F). The thermostat will also automatically
reach wide open so it will not restrict flow
to the radiator as the temperature of the coolant
rises in hot weather to around 104C (220F)"
Old 10 Dec 2012, 05:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
generally the thing that kill one is exposing it to extreme heat
This.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 03:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heres the shocker. they were ALL Stant thermostats :/

and i did mean Celsius. I checked my engine temp after i ran it nice and hot for a bit. No excess heat at all. shes actually running cool. Temps here are sometimes sub zero during the winter so i run extra coolant in the mix to keep it from freezing up. so it going hot is almost impossible. And yet i've blown 4-5 thermostats since july.

Neither i, the dealer or my local big name shop can figure out why. Looks like im gonna just be swapping thermos every two weeks
Old 12 Dec 2012, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Heres the shocker. they were ALL Stant thermostats :/

and i did mean Celsius. I checked my engine temp after i ran it nice and hot for a bit. No excess heat at all. shes actually running cool. Temps here are sometimes sub zero during the winter so i run extra coolant in the mix to keep it from freezing up. so it going hot is almost impossible. And yet i've blown 4-5 thermostats since july.

Neither i, the dealer or my local big name shop can figure out why. Looks like im gonna just be swapping thermos every two weeks
Something seems to be going on here that's more than just thermostats. Though keep in mind that even Stant is having some of its thermostats made on third world prison planets. So maybe a MoPar thermostat might solve the problem. But it's possible that the housing might be on wrong, or cracked, or warped. Maybe the seals are causing the thermostat to bend, which is very bad news when it happens. Sometimes a tiny bit of O-ring or some other crap gets left in place where the thermostat is supposed to seat. The t-stat will work OK for a while, but eventually the resultant warpage will cause it to just give up (as in get angry) and fail. ll it takes is a tiny bit of junk to do this.

I'm just guessing here. But I think that there is something wrong with where the thermostat actually seats in place.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

After the second one you should have been on the phone to STANTs customer service?
Home_old

First I don't mean to be rudely direct it is simply how I respond at times to some responses.

Miss information about STANT manufacturing facilities other then USA leave less to be desired. Why make rash comments without simply taking 30 seconds and find out a couple of factual informative things about STANT?
1. STANT does not hire out to manufacture their product line but rather they buy property and build a STANT manufacturing facility.
2.STANT is one of the only thermostat manufacturer in the world that actually does research and development of their product line.

MOPAR supplied thermostats does neither!

The PT's thermostat is housed in a thermal plastic housing. Maybe there is a PT model having an aluminum or cast but not that I am aware of? So the chances of the thermostat warping are very unlikely and several warping in the same engine next to impossible.
My question is who is testing these 5 questionable failed thermostats? Did anyone do a basic and generic test by placing a questionable thermostat in water turn the heat up and watch when the thermostat operates and observe what temperature that it occurred?
I can except debris one time effecting smooth operation of a thermostat not 5 times.
I am dubious at this point if it is even thermostats not working properly?
I would start calling a few other Auto service shops and get an opinion because at this point your shop assisting you seems to be less knowledgeable at diagnosing cooling system problems?
Your current shop should have suggested a cooling system pressure test? So all the fasteners, coolant lines and hoses are all ok and none of the hoses are collapsing , correct?

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Dec 2012 at 12:21 am.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
After the second one you should have been on the phone to STANTs customer service?
Home_old

First I don't mean to be rudely direct it is simply how I respond at times to some responses.

Miss information about STANT manufacturing facilities other then USA leave less to be desired. Why make rash comments without simply taking 30 seconds and find out a couple of factual informative things about STANT?
1. STANT does not hire out to manufacture their product line but rather they buy property and build a STANT manufacturing facility.
2.STANT is one of the only thermostat manufacturer in the world that actually does research and development of their product line.

MOPAR supplied thermostats does neither!

The PT's thermostat is housed in a thermal plastic housing. Maybe there is a PT model having an aluminum or cast but not that I am aware of? So the chances of the thermostat warping are very unlikely and several warping in the same engine next to impossible.
My question is who is testing these 5 questionable failed thermostats? Did anyone do a basic and generic test by placing a questionable thermostat in water turn the heat up and watch when the thermostat operates and observe what temperature that it occurred?
I can except debris one time effecting smooth operation of a thermostat not 5 times.
I am dubious at this point if it is even thermostats not working properly?
I would start calling a few other Auto service shops and get an opinion because at this point your shop assisting you seems to be less knowledgeable at diagnosing cooling system problems?
Your current shop should have suggested a cooling system pressure test? So all the fasteners, coolant lines and hoses are all ok and none of the hoses are collapsing , correct?
All the boxes in which the Stant Thermos came in said clearly "made in china" that was a flag for me haha.

I've tested them all myself, with a laser thermo and hot/cold running water.

I've had the system flushed multiple times, even flushed it with NO radiator to get any particles that may be hididng in the engine out.

As i said i have a new radiator, new housing, new seals, new thermostat, new radiator cap, new bleeder valve.

Im absolutely stumped.

Im gonna try a Mopar one from the dealer next week.

But i can easily and honestly say......i dont understand this one bit.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You missed the part about pressure testing the system and checking the hoses for collapsing?
And you did not say what your testing the thermostats with your laser Thermometer were?
Old 13 Dec 2012, 06:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
You missed the part about pressure testing the system and checking the hoses for collapsing?
And you did not say what your testing the thermostats with your laser Thermometer were?

system has been pressure cleared 4 times, hoses are all new. so are the clamps

My testing was this.

I would run it under very hot water, and tag it with the laser. every time they would open at the manufactures specs. issue is they would stay open, and then i would run cold water on them. they failed to close. which is why i keep throwing new ones into it.

i had them open at 75c. 83c and the newest one 95c. all stick open and fail to close. none of which are failsafe.