Advertisements
Anouther Timing Tread

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cruserdad1976

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2012, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anouther Timing Tread

I know there are a lot of these but i have read them all and couldnt find what i need. Heres the deal, I got this car and it had been worked on before. When i got it , it ideled fine but when you go to drive it , it would act up and you could get on it and it would smooth out again but when you try to keep a steady speed it would act up again. So, I got a new timing belt and took it all apart, sure enough the timing was way off and the belt all strecthed out. So i put my new belt on and got all the marks to line up. The car runs different now but its not right, it has a really rough feel to it at idel and during driveing, like its missing bad. While i was doing the belt, the Tensioner Pulley seemed kind of wobly and when i used the wreinch to turn it, it didnt seem very hard to turn, i used one finger to turn it and the other finger to push the other wreinch in the hole. and when it was all done and i turned the engine a few time it seemed like there were a little slack on the tesioner side. So what i am asking is, could the Tensioner Pulley be worn out and not tighting the belt good enough and that making my car run rough ?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anouther Timing Tread

well if you read verry many threads you should knwo the foloowing

1 The water pump tensioners and timing belt usally get changed at the same time
2 All 3 are right there and its no more work to do them all thanb to do the TB
3 It really sounds like it is a tooth or 2 off but the tensioner will do that so its time to go back to the basics and redo it again.

I would really sugest you recheck the belt most of the post all start that after the TB change the care wont idal or if falls on its face
they usally all say NO ichecked the TB and it is right
in the end 98% will admitt that it was out of time

The PT is a pain to do a TB on so its liie check recheck and recheck again before you button her up

Hey just my 2 cents
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have read the post, and i do understand it is recomended to do so, however i am very poor, it was all i could do to buy a belt, the tensioner will have to wait a few more months. the previus owner replaced the head gasket and the water pump, i checked and it do have a new pump in it. it took me 6 hours to change the belt and my boyfriend wouldnt help me at all, and i hurt my arm and hand and i smashed one of my fingers in the process. when i save up some more money ill buy the tensioner and redo it and hopfully that will fix it. if not i'll just try to sell the car and make my money back. The guy sware that it was just a vacume problem, fix that and it will run fine. come find out, he did the timeing wrong, and he broke the exhaust manifold, and i am sure he knew it, probably why he sold it to me. its a shame how people will take advantige of poor people, now i am out my money and still dont have a car to drive.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have read the post, and i do understand it is recomended to do so, however i am very poor, it was all i could do to buy a belt, the tensioner will have to wait a few more months. the previus owner replaced the head gasket and the water pump, i checked and it do have a new pump in it. it took me 6 hours to change the belt and my boyfriend wouldnt help me at all, and i hurt my arm and hand and i smashed one of my fingers in the process. when i save up some more money ill buy the tensioner and redo it and hopfully that will fix it. if not i'll just try to sell the car and make my money back. The guy sware that it was just a vacume problem, fix that and it will run fine. come find out, he did the timeing wrong, and he broke the exhaust manifold, and i am sure he knew it, probably why he sold it to me. its a shame how people will take advantige of poor people, now i am out my money and still dont have a car to drive.