Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 4 Speed Auto - Won't Go Into Any Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2012, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 4 Speed Auto - Won't Go Into Any Gear

Hi Crewzin! Thanks for all the work you do on this forum, the help is invaluable! I have an 05 PT non-turbo, 93K miles, with a 4 speed automatic. Beginning about 2 weeks ago I began to notice shifting from Park to Drive was a hard, abrupt engagement. All other shifting and operation was fine. This morning, after driving about 6 miles, leaving from a traffic light the transmission had zero engagment at any RPM. Was able to push it into a parking lot and tried running through all the gears, no engagment. The fluid was changed about 10K miles ago and still looks and smells OK, and at the right fill level. Appreciate your help! Jeff B.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 4 Speed Auto - Won't Go Into Any Gear

HI. All I can suggest is to have the shifting gears looked at on the side of the trans. They did use the right fluid (ATF+4) when they changed it, right?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the gear selector and it's connection to the shift cable, all are OK. The shop I had change the fluid stated it was the correct fluid for the car. In the event it wasn't, what does the incorrect fluid most likely attack? Do you think a fluid (ATF+4) and filter change will be enough to get the right friction back? I've had pumps go on other cars with lots of noise when put into gear, there is no noise at all coming from this one, in any gear.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The question about the fluid was an afterthought. Even if the wrong fluid was put in, it would take awhile for anything to happen. Chrysler says the wrong fluid will not flow right and could foam up and cause damage but I do know if the car is still under warranty and something happens to the transaxle with the wrong fluid, it won't be covered.

Hopefully someone else with more experience with the transaxle will chime in and come up with something for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your input! If anyone else has any related experience or suggestions, they are greatly appreciated!
Old 12 Dec 2012, 07:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

In my experience, when this transmission fails, it usually does so gradually...slipping and/or going into limp mode (second gear only). Use of the wrong fluid is one thing that can cause a gradual failure.