Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Avg motor temp?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Avg motor temp?

What is the average temp for pt? My temp gauge stay in the middle of the gauge, will sometimes go down I little then goes back to half way.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Avg motor temp?

that is what mine does all is good til it goes to the red
Old 12 Dec 2012, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool thanks. I'm new to pt's so trying to get as much info as I can.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 10:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine doesn't even quite get to the middle. Mine stays at about the 3/8 mark.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 11:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmactis View Post
What is the average temp for pt? My temp gauge stay in the middle of the gauge, will sometimes go down I little then goes back to half way.
This is normal when its cold out. She'll stay in the middle exactly in the summer because the coolant thats in the radiator doesnt get that cool.

In the winter what happens is you have the coolant in the engine which rises to a certain temp, when the engine gets hot enough, the thermostat opens which lets cooler coolant in the radiator pass into the engine, thus dropping the engine temp *which you can see in the gauge*. Then THAT coolant heats up again causing the temp needle to rise back up. During this process the coolant in the radiator *getting slammed by cold air constantly* gets colder, thus when the thermostat opens again, cold coolant is re-introduced into the engine causing it to fall.

Only time you have an issue is if it is below the 1/4 mark, which signifies a stuck open thermostat, or too much coolant in the 50/50 mix. Or when it goes above 1/2 which signifies a stuck shut thermostat, bad coolant, too much water in the coolant, air in the system or a malfunctioning radiator
Old 13 Dec 2012, 01:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Gauges on modern cars don't actually measure anything. They are run by the PCM which has cold, a little cold, normal, a little hot, and hot. The "normal" position represents a very wide range of normal operating temperatures - usually about 170 degrees to 200 degrees. It's not indicative of a single temp. Decades ago car manufacturers figured out that people would freak out if their car was running "too hot" or "too cold" for their own personal tastes, so manufacturers decoupled the gauge from the sensor, and started letting the ECU run the gauge instead to keep motorists happy.

Go get in an old car and watch the gauge creep from "cold" to "normal," then get back in the PT and watch the gauge go *immediately* from "cold" to "normal." It's electronic trickery!
Old 13 Dec 2012, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 09 doesn't go from cold to normal immediately. It takes a while to get there. Now that it is cold it takes a lot longer to get there then it did in the summer. Plus I too see the temp gauge go down and then back to normal. Started that when it got real cold too.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 03:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
Gauges on modern cars don't actually measure anything. They are run by the PCM which has cold, a little cold, normal, a little hot, and hot. The "normal" position represents a very wide range of normal operating temperatures - usually about 170 degrees to 200 degrees. It's not indicative of a single temp. Decades ago car manufacturers figured out that people would freak out if their car was running "too hot" or "too cold" for their own personal tastes, so manufacturers decoupled the gauge from the sensor, and started letting the ECU run the gauge instead to keep motorists happy.

Go get in an old car and watch the gauge creep from "cold" to "normal," then get back in the PT and watch the gauge go *immediately* from "cold" to "normal." It's electronic trickery!
Not sure where you heard that, but it isn't true. The temperature guage is fed off a coolant temperature sensor. The sensor is a dual element sensor. One element sends a temperature signal to the PCM, and the other element sends a temperature signal to the guage. The guage will gradually climb to the middle as the engine warms up.

If your guage jumps immediately, you have a faulty guage.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 05:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I haven't seen a car since the '90s that works the way you describe - a sender feeding a gauge directly. Whether it's the PCM running the gauge or circuitry in the cluster running the gauge is ultimately not the point - Temp X of the engine does not equal a specific gauge position, and I will bet you money the PT is no different.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 09:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'll take that bet. This is a direct quote from the Chrysler manual:

"The combination coolant temperature sensor has two elements. One element supplies coolant temperature signal to the PCM. The other element supplies coolant temperature signal to the instrument panel gauge cluster. The PCM determines engine coolant temperature from the coolant temperature sensor."

Don't believe me if you don't want to, but that doesn't change the fact that your incorrect about how the system operates.