Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator
  • 1 Post By pluminator
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2012, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT questions,

Hey, I have a 2001 PT with around 256K km on teh clock, the previous owner has mantained the car to Chryslers specs. I have done every oil change on time, with synthetic "high mileage " oil. I have even had the timing belt changed around 10k km ago. Over hte last month i have noticed a slight squeek coming from the right hand side of hte engine, its only notice able with my windows open.( and its not always there, it comes and goes) Could this be something to do the with timing belt change ? if so how can i check to see were the noise is coming from. I don't think i am able to get into were the belt is due to the Air con lines being there.

the second question, while changing my spark plugs, i noticed i have oil sitting in the 3 cl area with the spark plug, the other cylinders are oil free could this indicate a head gasket problem.

the third question, is it normal to see oil like residue in the air intake ? when i had it off to replace the spark plugs i noticed oil like residue inside and were the two parts seperate. Should i clean out hte manifold ? if so what would be the best way ?

thanks for your time, I hope some of you can help with these questions.

Phill Simpson
Old 14 Dec 2012, 07:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT questions,

First answer:
The squeak is probably your accessory drive belt, that runs your power steering and Air-con. Its located next to the timing belt *left of it if your looking straight at the engine* It is accessed by removing the front passenger wheel, and removing the splashguard in the wheel well. If you replace it make sure to replace the tensioner as well or it will just squeak all over again.

#2. The oil your seeing near the spark plug is caused by the grommet gaskets that seal the plug inlets from the valve cover. If you purchase a quality Valve Cover Gasket set it should come with 4 new grommets to replace the old ones, which are probably cooked, hard as a rock and leaking :-)

#3 the oil your seeing in the intake is caused by a leaky or bad PCV valve, its the little rubber hose thats coming off the right hand side of the engine *looking straight at the motor*, At the left hand side of that hose there is a large bolt head that screws into the motor. that is the PCV, and it costs about $7 to replace.

#4 if you want to clean your manifold here are the steps to do it.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the air cleaner box, and the two clamps that hold the rubber hosing to the throttle body. *remeber to disconnect the wire coming out of the hose which is the intake air sensor*

Next loosen all 5-6 bolts at the front of the mainifold by the radiator and remove them.

Next on the right hand "open" side of the throttle body there will be 3 bolts. remove those.

Next remove the small clips holding the throttle lines to the top of the manifold.

Remove the two small hoses going into the BACK of the mainifold, plus the wiring harness sitting next to them.

Remove the manifold and clean that.

Next take some carb/choke cleaner and hose the heck out of the inside of the throttlebody and clean it with a rag untill all the black gunk is gone.

Then re-assemble :-)

Hope this helps
Badglas likes this.

Last edited by pluminator; 14 Dec 2012 at 07:22 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 07:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
First answer:
The squeak is probably your accessory drive belt, that runs your power steering and Air-con. Its located next to the timing belt *left of it if your looking straight at the engine* It is accessed by removing the front passenger wheel, and removing the splashguard in the wheel well. If you replace it make sure to replace the tensioner as well or it will just squeak all over again.

#2. The oil your seeing near the spark plug is caused by the grommet gaskets that seal the plug inlets from the valve cover. If you purchase a quality Valve Cover Gasket set it should come with 4 new grommets to replace the old ones, which are probably cooked, hard as a rock and leaking :-)

#3 the oil your seeing in the intake is caused by a leaky or bad PCV valve, its the little rubber hose thats coming off the right hand side of the engine *looking straight at the motor*, At the left hand side of that hose there is a large bolt head that screws into the motor. that is the PCV, and it costs about $7 to replace.

#4 if you want to clean your manifold here are the steps to do it.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the air cleaner box, and the two clamps that hold the rubber hosing to the throttle body. *remeber to disconnect the wire coming out of the hose which is the intake air sensor*

Next loosen all 5-6 bolts at the front of the mainifold by the radiator and remove them.

Next on the right hand "open" side of the throttle body there will be 3 bolts. remove those.

Next remove the small clips holding the throttle lines to the top of the manifold.

Remove the two small hoses going into the BACK of the mainifold, plus the wiring harness sitting next to them.

Remove the manifold and clean that.

Next take some carb/choke cleaner and hose the heck out of the inside of the throttlebody and clean it with a rag untill all the black gunk is gone.

Then re-assemble :-)

Hope this helps
Agreed. One note: substitute Throttle Body and Intake cleaner for carb/choke cleaner.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 14 Dec 2012, 07:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Agreed. One note: substitute Throttle Body and Intake cleaner for carb/choke cleaner.

Ron
i just use carb choke because i have it handy for my bike haha :-p im cheap what can i say haha
Badglas likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 08:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
i just use carb choke because i have it handy for my bike haha :-p im cheap what can i say haha
It's only cheap if it doesn't destroy sensors that are greatly affected(ruined) by the strength of carb cleaner.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 14 Dec 2012, 08:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
It's only cheap if it doesn't destroy sensors that are greatly affected(ruined) by the strength of carb cleaner.

Ron
you mean like an IAC? :-p
Badglas likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 08:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
you mean like an IAC? :-p
Yup.

Ron