Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Cruiser Shakes While Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2012, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Cruiser Shakes While Idle

I would like to start by saying this is an issue that has plagued this particular '06 Cruiser every year and a half since we bought it in 2007.

Every 18 months or so the car begins to shake while in idle, usually we are in park, or at a drive thru restaurant or something when we start to notice the behavior. Within a month or two the check engine light comes on, the cooling fan dies, and the car gets very close to overheating and we end up having to replace the fan which costs us a significant amount of money, but in the end the problem repeats, and is unresolved.

A few weeks ago I felt it shake while in a parking lot. I decided to take it to a mechanic, who said the fan was fine and didn't notice any other issues with the vehicle that would cause the shiver.

I would like to say that the spark plugs and wires have been recently replaced, as have 2 of the 3 motor mounts.So that is not the issue, however, I am tired of this happening and am fearful that when my wife and I are driving should the issue occur we might not catch it intime before the car overheats.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: 2006 Cruiser Shakes While Idle

More PT specific info needed to help.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 16 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser Shakes While Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
More PT specific info needed to help.
I am not really a car guy, what info do you need? Car shakes, cooling fan dies, car nearly overheats and fluid gushes everywhere when this happens. The car is an '06 I think custom.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCultAV View Post
I am not really a car guy, what info do you need? Car shakes, cooling fan dies, car nearly overheats and fluid gushes everywhere when this happens. The car is an '06 I think custom.
Okay.

The overheating is a big issue.

It is can be caused by a few issues.

1st, Bad water pump
2nd bad radiator
3rd Air in the cooling system.
4th Stuck shut thermostat
5th Old coolant.

Check all of those.

The fan dying probably means the motor could be shot, or you have a bad wiring harness. Have those checked out too.

The bad Idling could be caused by the overheating, when a car overheats the engine is working 10x harder.

Or it could be a shot idle air control valve, shot camshaft sensor, shot crankshaft sensor or even just bad motor mounts , sticking throttle, clogged intake, or an issue with the EVAP system could have an issue, air leak, full or cracked canister, PCV valve etc.

I sugguest you take it to the dealer for a full diagnostic, costs about $80 but at least youll know where your standing at the end :-)

Good luck friend!
Old 23 Dec 2012, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: 2006 Cruiser Shakes While Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCultAV View Post
Model, na or turbo.
Mileage; history of service like timing belt, water pump, etc.
Any codes thrown?

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Dec 2012, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

See that's the problem. I took it for a diagnostic as the problem was beginning it's 18 month cycle again, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It is now shivering anytime it's in idle any period of 30 seconds.

Now let me explain, there are no codes, no check engine lights nothing right now.

Those will come later.

Basically every 18 months the car starts to shake. After a little while of doing this the check engine light comes on. The first few times I did this, I brought it to a mechanic who suggested it could have been air getting under the hood, and opening and shutting it which would kill the light that worked for the light but not the shivering.

Eventually the light would come on stay on, and there would be an issue with the fan. Since I tend to live paycheck to paycheck on the first few occurences, I let it slide a few weeks, and then it would suddenly start overheating, and I'd have to shut it off before it went to red.

On the third time, it happened suddenly, and once again I shut it off before anything could happen.

Now it's the fourth cycle for this car with this issue. I don't want to replace another cooling fan, pay $600 bucks, and then wait a year for it to screw up again. I would rather find out what the root of the issue is, and stop it dead in it's tracks.

The Car is an '06 Cruiser.

it has 80,000 miles, it has never had the timing belt replaced that I know of.

It has recently gotten new spark plugs, and been de-carboned or something like that.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 03:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

I would check to see if you have an overheating issue that is causing the fan to come on almost all the time or possibly the fan itself is stuck on all the time and wearing out prematurely.

Here is a question for some with more PT experience than I. If the voltage regulator is not working correctly, could it be destroying the fan motor and nothing else?
Old 07 Jan 2013, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know very little about cars compared to most people on here. But I've had lots of overheating issues. Once it was overheating because of a bad fuse in the underhood fuse box. There's one for the high fan setting and one for the low fan setting. Fuses are an easy fix and I wish I had started there... Though for you it gets resolved with a new fan, so unless they're giving you a new fan and changing a bad fuse at the same time, I don't know. Is it shaking just a little, like from the coolant boiling in the overflow, or shaking like the engine's sputtering?