Advertisements
ECM Relearn

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2012, 08:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Default ECM Relearn

I need to know Answers . I bought a Stage (1) ECM "used in another 03 GT. Is there a Relearn It has to go Through in order to use it in Mine ???
Old 17 Dec 2012, 08:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: ECM Relearn

Bobby, you need to send it off to Flight Systems to have it flashed with your VIN number
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 17 Dec 2012, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

OK I got this from Wayne when he wrecked his car. I may have done that causeits been in the Car,even when we were up your Place .If it wasn't flashed would my car still Run ? Or maybe just not have whatever is on it like a stock ECM?
Old 17 Dec 2012, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy9-03pt View Post
OK I got this from Wayne when he wrecked his car. I may have done that causeits been in the Car,even when we were up your Place .If it wasn't flashed would my car still Run ? Or maybe just not have whatever is on it like a stock ECM?
The dealership VIN flash is for the immobilizer (ECU/PCM/ECU electronic security device) information only no other maps are change or altered. This VIN flash is so your can start and drive the PT.

If your PT is running then the ECM is working. What makes to think something is not as it should be? I assume it does have the appropriate decal information showing it to be the Stag 1 ECU?
Old 17 Dec 2012, 05:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

The "relearn" is the right thing to do if you want to beat on the car right away after changing a PCM in an auto trans application. It's easy and nothing to fear or avoid. The reason you want to do it is to adjust and match the shift programing with the wear conditions in the trans. You can also do a "slow learn" by simply driving the car for a few days without going wide open until you lay down a little shift history into the adaptive memory of the PCM. The trans will shift without a relearn but it won't be optimum and could be risky under full power.

For example: if you switch your factory PCM for a Stage 1, do a relearn, instant or slow. If you later take out the Stage 1 after driving another 50,000 miles and put the original factory PCM back in, do a relearn because the trans is no longer like it was when you took it out because of normal wear differences. If you trade PCMs with your cousin, both of you do a relearn. You should be starting to see a pattern here.
PT_Panel likes this.

Last edited by 2step; 17 Dec 2012 at 05:43 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 01:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The "relearn" is the right thing to do if you want to beat on the car right away after changing a PCM in an auto trans application. It's easy and nothing to fear or avoid. The reason you want to do it is to adjust and match the shift programing with the wear conditions in the trans. You can also do a "slow learn" by simply driving the car for a few days without going wide open until you lay down a little shift history into the adaptive memory of the PCM. The trans will shift without a relearn but it won't be optimum and could be risky under full power.

For example: if you switch your factory PCM for a Stage 1, do a relearn, instant or slow. If you later take out the Stage 1 after driving another 50,000 miles and put the original factory PCM back in, do a relearn because the trans is no longer like it was when you took it out because of normal wear differences. If you trade PCMs with your cousin, both of you do a relearn. You should be starting to see a pattern here.
he doesn't see very well
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 19 Dec 2012, 07:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think Wayne's was a 5 speed manual . I think I had to send it back to get it set w/my Vin and autostick trany. He just never told me what the Stage 1 was programed to or for. It runs like I want it to . The Tranny 's been beefed up & when it shifts it pulls hard . Not the Average PT anymore. Now just another toy for Me to play with. and take to Florida every year.