Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Dies when wipers/washers are used

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car Dies when wipers/washers are used

Hi-I have a 2003 2lt LTD Cruiser and it has covered 68K miles. I have had no problems until yesterday when travelling along, I used the front washers and all the dash lights went out and the car spluttered. I tried this again and the car stopped dead. No dash warning lights or anything. All the windows indicators etc. all still worked, but no dash warning lights. I have checked all the earths I can find, and now the problem is intermittant, but still when front or rear washers and / or wipers are used. It is as if the washers/wipers are shorting out the dash and ignition, but no fuses are blown................help please, with any ideas..........thank you.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car Dies when wipers/washers are used

Take the plastic shroud off the steering column (2 screws, then snaps apart) - look at wiring on wiper switch and look at all the wiring in the column - something is shorting.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have checked all of the Earths-all I could find, tested all the fuses, none were blown. Installed a new ignition switch. I have no indicators, dashboard lights, no ignition, no wipers, no door locks. No lights appear on the dashboard when turning the key, but there are live supplies to heater blower, headlights, windows. This is a strange fault, I have spent some time on it. Is there a main relay, that could cause this? Obviously I cant use the car as it does not start. I resent taking it to a dealer, as they just keep fitting new parts one by one until it works! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My guess is a bad ground (earth). Check on the left inner fender under the air cleaner box behind the battery...you will find a number of wires grounded there all on the same lugs attached with just sheet metal screws...clean up these connections. btw...this is per my 08 but yours is perhaps similar.