PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Polyurethane Motor Mounts?? Can't find the thread....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2012, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Polyurethane Motor Mounts?? Can't find the thread....

I JUST seen a post the other day, have tried searching and cannot find it. I have to replace the top motor mount and somewhere I read where several people have done something with polyurethane instead of replacing the mount...and I remember something about having to let it sit for a few days to harden up or to bake it...I cannot find that post. But it mentioned that people that had done this, it was working better & lasting longer than replacing the mount. Can someone help me find it please?

Thanks!!!
Old 20 Dec 2012, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Polyurethane Motor Mounts?? Can't find the thread....

You want windshield adhesive urethane. You use a caulking gun and "shoot" it into motor mount & let it set. I haven't done it, but read up on it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2012, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Filling the mounts with silicone or liguid rubber

Filling the mounts with silicone or liguid rubber

This works as a temporary repair for a damaged OEM mount or to help prolong its life?
I recently did this mod and had them measured by durometor test to see how effective this mod was at improving the mounts firmness.
Both the stock lower and upper mounts are very soft @ -50 SDH-A.
The recommend modification filler is silicone or 3m type widshield "black" which these are rated @ -28 SDH-A. Mine tested 25 SDH-A.
This means that your OEM mount will simply be re-enforced @ -50 SDH-A. There will be a reduction in soft mount movement which this is being translated as an increase in firmness. But this limited movement does not increase the mounts firmness in the actual sense.

The only real way to increase the effective hardness is to install the Polyethylene mounts offered by some suppliers or modify your existing mounts with liguid polyethylene to a level of about 80 SDH-A This is a good choice for both performance and acceptable vibration.

DEVCON Flexane 80 Liquid 15800
ITW Devcon | FlexaneŽ 80 Liquid

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Dec 2012 at 11:45 am.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i did this to a civic back in the day with "3m Windo Weld" and those mounts outlasted three different civics.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...17651851_n.jpg

this is my upper PT mount. i filled it with titan p2g. they are stiff to the point you can see the top of the dash vibrate. i can't argue with NitroPT's scientific analysis, but i can assure you that if you do this properly your filled mount will NEVER fail again. it also helped with wheelhop and the bouncy feel when you let off the gas.

nitro did you cook yours to speed it up? have you retested it? maybe it hardens more as it ages, or less if you bake it?
Old 20 Dec 2012, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i did this to a civic back in the day with "3m Windo Weld" and those mounts outlasted three different civics.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...17651851_n.jpg

this is my upper PT mount. i filled it with titan p2g. they are stiff to the point you can see the top of the dash vibrate. i can't argue with NitroPT's scientific analysis, but i can assure you that if you do this properly your filled mount will NEVER fail again. it also helped with wheelhop and the bouncy feel when you let off the gas.

nitro did you cook yours to speed it up? have you retested it? maybe it hardens more as it ages, or less if you bake it?

LOL I knew that in some cases anything I may do or say may be in question?
These modified mounts were sent to ENERGY suspension with the intentions of getting them to dust off the original full engine mounts they years ago intended to offer the PT consumer.
So it was there testing not mine. Although I did check them before I sent them out encase there were discrepancies between their test results and mine!

I also talked directly with 3m engineering department to get the specified durometer rating of there different silicone and rubber supplied chemicals. We talked about the mount filling modification and they also (you can call them) suggested that it might help support a longer service life of some mounts but it will not do anything to stiffen by way of durometer results a mount that originally has a greater durometer indicated. But even common sense if the mounts are even slightly limited with there normal movement then at the point of maximum composition compression there must be rebound. That reduced rebound would translate into a feeling of a more rigid mount.

You can see in the picture below that the introduction of a filler unless it were a polyethylene would take up by volume 5-7%. That it self is not enough to make a harness difference unless polypropylene inserts or liquid filler is used?

I also have done this testing(R&D) and consequently my own machined polyethylene mount for another vehicle that strangely enough resembles and is the same size mount insert?

rob342 likes this.