Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2012, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Limited

Bought as a Christmas present with 99, 327 miles. After purchase I took it to a shop to have new valve gaskets installed as they were leaking. Turns out there is much more wrong. Cam and crank sensor error codes were evident and the shop found the cam sensor unplugged. When they plugged the cam sensor back in the car would crank but not start. They replaced the cam and crank sensors plugged them in only to have the same problem. As soon as they unplugged the cam sensor the car started. Now they tell me the issue is a frayed wire or the ecm. Are they going in thw right direction? Any advice as to the issue?
Old 21 Dec 2012, 02:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Limited

Just to be clear:

You bought this car, you drove it over to the shop, and THEN they told you the cam sensor was unplugged? Was the CEL on when you bought it?
Old 21 Dec 2012, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the wire is the one that goes to the cam sensor, is the one they are talking about. Then yes. You didn't need the sensors in that case. Never heard of one running with it unplugged. If you are stuck with paying for them. Get the old ones as they are still good.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Dec 2012, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How is that pertinent to my questions? Not one bit of your reply is constructive or on topic.Your use of all caps and overall tone are based on assumptions and completely unnecessary. But thanks for stopping by in an effort to flame me.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If the wire is the one that goes to the cam sensor, is the one they are talking about. Then yes. You didn't need the sensors in that case. Never heard of one running with it unplugged. If you are stuck with paying for them. Get the old ones as they are still good.
I have also never heard of 1 running when unplugged. I am perplexed to say the least. I was hoping someone on the board had the same issue and reading my post would jog the memory. Starts up just fine unplugged but dies immediately when plugged back in. Then will not restart until unplugged again! Twilight zone kind of issues!
Old 21 Dec 2012, 03:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
How is that pertinent to my questions? Not one bit of your reply is constructive or on topic.Your use of all caps and overall tone are based on assumptions and completely unnecessary. But thanks for stopping by in an effort to flame me.
i don't see where any one of the two people that posted did anything you are describing. be a little nicer and you might get the answers you are looking for.

sorry to say, i have no idea what the problem with your car is. be patient and someone may have some insight as to your dilemma
Old 21 Dec 2012, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
I have also never heard of 1 running when unplugged. I am perplexed to say the least. I was hoping someone on the board had the same issue and reading my post would jog the memory. Starts up just fine unplugged but dies immediately when plugged back in. Then will not restart until unplugged again! Twilight zone kind of issues!
Like I said check the wires running from the sensors to the harness. These are known to get against the axle and short out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com