Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Window Defroster not working after head gasket repair - 2005 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Window Defroster not working after head gasket repair - 2005 PT Cruiser

Hello,
I searched the forum to try to find answers to my questions, but didn't find them; my apologies if this info is here somewhere and I missed it!

I have a 2005 PT cruister with 101k miles on it that just recently had a head gasket repair. I picked it up from my mechanic 3 weeks ago; and about a week ago we had snow/ice. I went to use the rear window defroster to help clear some of it. While the light goes on on the switch, the window does not clear. (no melted lines!) I have tried it a few more times and really watched just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and it's definetely not working.

I have a few questions - could the repair have done anything to cause this? My clock had to be reset, so I am assuming they removed the battery to take the engine apart to get to the head gasket? So, it makes me wonder if putting the battey back in after putting the engine together could have blown a fuse? I've looked at the fuse diagram in the manual, and don't see one labeled Rear Window Defroster.

I did read about checking the wiring on the window but in looking at my hatch, it is not obvious me where to do this checking!

Btw, this is my second cruiser. My first one was a 2002 standard transmission, but my knee got bad in 09 and it became too painful to shift; so, I replaced it with an automatic. When the head gasket leak was diagnosed this summer in my second one, I considered a new car, but didn't want to part with my PT! So, keeping this baby working and on the road is important to me. I would prefer to fix it on my own and not have it at the mechanics again, unless of course it is determined to be something caused by the repair and I can't fix it.

Any help or suggestions are most appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Window Defroster not working after head gasket repair - 2005 PT Cruiser

It's somewhere between unlikely and impossible head gasket work has anything to do with the defroster situation. Check the easy stuff first - the fuse and relay. With a multimeter, you can also check for voltage at the connection to the defroster grid on the rear window - I think you need to remove the plastic covers in order to gain access to them, though.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Window Defroster not working after head gasket repair - 2005 PT Cruiser

Thank you for the reply. I agree, it doesn't make sense to me that the head gasket work would cause the defroster to not work, it's just suspicious that it worked before and not after...just didn't know if any of the related work like removing the battery, or perhaps working near wiring, may have contributed. I don't see a fuse labeled in the manual for the defroster. Might you know which one it is?
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by easkey View Post
... I don't see a fuse labeled in the manual for the defroster. Might you know which one it is?
Fuse #8 (40amp) in the PDC (power distribution center) under the hood controls power to the rear window defog strips.

Fuse #6 (10 amp) in the dash fuse block controls the switch relay.

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." - Charles de Gaulle
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great, thanks! I'll start there...

Tags
2005 pt cruiser, fuse, rear window defroster