LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default how to fill your engine mount

step 1: get these three things.
-a STRONG caulk gun
-3M windo-weld
-engine mounts(new or old and torn)

step 2: thoroughly clean the area you will be filling. i usually use brake cleaner for this. if you are using old engine mounts you should also remove any loose rubber.

step 3: open the tube and get it ready to apply. i recommend puncturing the opening with a garbage pen or pencil, not a nail. this stuff is thick and a big hole makes it come out *much* easier.

step 4: fill the voids in the rubber with the windo weld. try not to make too much of a mess, don't worry about looks yet. just make sure to completely fill the mount. if you do this correctly, it will now look something like this:

step 5: once you are satisfied that it is filled completely, lick your finger(so the black doesnt stick to you) and gently pat it smooth. it should look something like this:

step 6: lick your finger more, excessive spit is good, and smear it until it looks pretty. like this:

repeat steps four through six on the other side of the mount and you're finished.

set it aside to fully cure. some people bake them at 200F for two hours to cure them in a hurry, others recommend letting them cure naturally by letting them sit for 48 hours. im my experience 48 hours is a bare minimum. i'm going to let this one sit for three days. i'm in no hurry and after 3 days i know it will be fully cured and will never be a problem again. this is the time i recommend you wait before reinstalling it. 3 full days.

i see this asked a lot, so i hope this helps.

any excess black on your fingers can be removed with a scotch bright sponge and dish soap...if you're quick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0713.jpg (94.2 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (96.6 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (96.2 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0715.jpg (97.0 KB, 633 views)

Last edited by rob342; 26 Dec 2012 at 10:31 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 11:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: how to fill your engine mount

Nice write up Rob342!

rob342 likes this.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

thanks man. it seems like a lot of people ask. now there's somewhere to point them to instead of explaining it over and over.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 06:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Great post!I bough new lower engine mount about six months ago and now its broken again,so i am thinking to do this.Just couple questions,does this version make mount stiffer then original and does vibrate comes more than regular?
Old 27 Dec 2012, 09:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomy87 View Post
Great post!I bough new lower engine mount about six months ago and now its broken again,so i am thinking to do this.Just couple questions,does this version make mount stiffer then original and does vibrate comes more than regular?
it makes the mount feel firmer. it prevents it from tearing or needing to be replaced. it does effectively fix broken mounts, but make sure you clean both pieces excessively, like you were prepping for paint. make sure you let it dry completely, or it'll pop and squeeze out like a toothpaste tube.

i can visually see the top of the dash vibrate, but i do not hear anything vibrate, ie my keys and change don't jingle and plastic didn't start making noise. i've done this to a few cars but they've all been stick. it may be worse in an automatic.

IMO it's perfect. it makes it feel stiffer but not too stiff. nothing rattles annoyingly, but wheelhop and engine movement are reduced, the need to replace mounts constantly is eliminated.

you should check the warranty on the mount you bought before filling it. i bought my mounts from 2 different stores and both had lifetime warranties.

MAKE SURE TO DO BOTH MOUNTS
or you will be snapping bolts in half like i was

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I recently did this mod and had them measured by durometor test to see how effective this mod was at improving the mounts firmness.
Both the stock lower and upper mounts are very soft @ -50 SDH-A.
The recommend modification filler is silicone or 3m type widshield "black" which these are rated @ -28 SDH-A. Mine tested 25 SDH-A.
This means that your OEM mount will simply be re-enforced @ -50 SDH-A. There will be a reduction in soft mount movement which this is being translated as an increase in firmness. But this limited movement does not increase the mounts firmness in the actual sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i did this to a civic back in the day with "3m Windo Weld" and those mounts outlasted three different civics.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...17651851_n.jpg

this is my upper PT mount. they are stiff to the point you can see the top of the dash vibrate. i can't argue with NitroPT's scientific analysis, but i can assure you that if you do this properly your filled mount will NEVER fail again. it also helped with wheelhop and the bouncy feel when you let off the gas.
^ i butchered those quotes to meet my liking. the originals are here
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It may be easier to say that this mod by all indications seems to support the longevity of a stock mounts and a inexpensive solution to repairing broken ones?

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Dec 2012 at 10:24 am.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomy87 View Post
There may be another problem you might be overlooking? These type of mount are designed to be able to move almost 5/8 inch without pulling away from the core? Your engine and running gear should not be moving so much that it is breaking these mounts so frequently?

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Dec 2012 at 10:26 am.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It may be easier to say that this mod by all indications seems to support the longevity of a stock mounts and a inexpensive solution to repairing broken ones?
yes. the reduced movement also helps a lot with wheel-hop when it's wet out. that used to be a big problem for me.

my properly adjusted duralast-lifetime-warranty-mount lasted a week before it tore completely. i'm a "kick the clutch and jam it in third while still standing on the gas pedal" kinda guy sometimes. i would say they will handle this abuse forever once filled.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
yes. the reduced movement also helps a lot with wheel-hop when it's wet out. that used to be a big problem for me.

my properly adjusted duralast-lifetime-warranty-mount lasted a week before it tore completely. i'm a "kick the clutch and jam it in third while still standing on the gas pedal" kinda guy sometimes. i would say they will handle this abuse forever once filled.
Keep us posted on the longevity.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Dec 2012, 03:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Keep us posted on the longevity.
i've done it before. they'll outlast the car. there's no question about it.