Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No power to cooling fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No power to cooling fan

Hello all. I'm a new member but have been referring to this site for a few months. I've been trying to solve my grandma's 2002 PT cruiser's overheating problem and I haven't been able to fix it. I can't get the cooling fan to come on. I took the fan out and tested it right off the battery and both high and low speeds work. I replaced the temp sensor, 40amp fuse and high, low relays. I've read some post about loose wires, I'm curious if that could be my problem. I checked out the connections under the battery box and fan, everything seems tight? The car isnt shifting to 2nd gear, which is a whole different problem lol, so I'm unable to have any diagnostic scan done. Ive read a lot of threads and it looks like this is a common problem discussed. I'm looking for some advice on where to go from here. Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: No power to cooling fan

If you have a multimeter, you can check the fuse and relay sockets for the correct voltage for both battery supply and the pulldown for the relay. With some spare wire, you can power the fan directly from the battery through the fuse and/or relay socket. That will help narrow down where the issue is.

One other thought: When I replaced the fan in my PT last month, the power connector was *full* of corrosion. Did you check to be sure yours is in good shape?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: No power to cooling fan

Mine was bad relay sockets, wiggle the relay around, with the top off
finger pushing the relay found the problem Dirty contacts makes heat
eventually the socket gives up