Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser oil change interval?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2012, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser oil change interval?

My Chilton's repair manual says 3 months or 3,000 miles, which is what I have religiously done.
Well that was in 2001 but regular oil and additives have made major improvements to the lubricant. We know the facts that modern engines have tighter tolerances, oil filters are better and since the the lubricant has improved so much, engine manufacturers now double ( 7,500 miles, for example ) the interval for oil change.

Have you guys lengthened you oil change intervals?
Old 29 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser oil change interval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalzadilla View Post
My Chilton's repair manual says 3 months or 3,000 miles, which is what I have religiously done.
Well that was in 2001 but regular oil and additives have made major improvements to the lubricant. We know the facts that modern engines have tighter tolerances, oil filters are better and since the the lubricant has improved so much, engine manufacturers now double ( 7,500 miles, for example ) the interval for oil change.

Have you guys lengthened you oil change intervals?
There is a lot of myths and dis-information concerning engine oils on forums.

The only real way to see how well your oil is doing in your engine is to get a sample ** annualized at least once a year. Personally oil is cheap engines are not so continuing the oil change intervals at 3000 miles seems reasonable if not prudent.

I have also tried to show by way of actual facts why the use of full synthetic's is not necessary unless under some form of warranty expressed by the auto maker or dealer the vehicle was purchased from and you do not have to abide by that legally btw but it saves a lot of nonsense between them and you about what you choose to use for engine oil. After that stated warranty period why continue to use what they recommend anyway? So the excuse of costly oil changes because of the price for Full Synthetic Oil does not factually apply.
By careful comparing these main items you would find many none Synthetic oil do as well or in some instances better then some Synthetic's. (blended is included in both none and full synthetic applications)

Starting Viscosity (Startability)
Pumping Viscosity (Pumpability)
Gellation Index (Gelling Tendency)
Operating Viscosity
Fuel Efficiency Index
Oxidation Resistance
Volatility
Shear Stability
Acid Resistance

There is surprisingly more oil choices then most realize. If you take 5w30 as an example in North America alone there are 134 different choices from 7-Eleven Premium, AC DELCO DEXOS 1 to ZELCO-MAX!

**What is oil Analysis
What is Oil Analysis?

So bottom line as I always say what is your engine worth, spending a little extra and changing the oil at 3000 miles or taking the chance at 5 or 75 miles between oil changes?

"Your PT's engine doesn't understand marketing advertisements, forum banter of unsubstantiated facts and is only really concerned with the protection and the performance of the engine oil you choose to put in it and how often you change it"

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Dec 2012 at 05:00 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2012, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are 2 main reasons for the 3k oil change. First there are more people today than ever before who never check anything under the hood. The only time the hood gets raised is if it breaks and at the oil change interval. For the car manufacturer this is less of a risk at 3k than say 6k. So less warranty loss. That's great for them. The other is the oil company sells twice the product. They are happy too.
Those of us who can remember, had cars in the 70s and the owners manual said change oil every 7.5 k and 6.5k. Unless used in severe conditions.
If your oil is clear at 3k then your probably are over doing and can go much farther between changes. 6k has worked for me for years. I don't personally know about the difference in synth and dino, but the local Mercedes dealer provided a service were the used synth and picked up the car and serviced it and returned it for a flat fee every 10k miles. Some customers lived 1 1/2 hours away. So you decide for yourself.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Oil Color, Lubrication Ability and Contamination Level

Here we go..............

I will use Amsoil becuase most of us all use Synthetic anyway so why try to support what I say using none Synthetic sources...

I am going to highlight and under line some key information to help jump to some questions and answers without having to study the documentation provided.
RED Line and Royal Purple have very similar information as this posting.
Personally I use more RED Line and Mobil 1 then Amsoil but do have a fair amount of it on hand for some engine applications. I just didn't want it thought I was partial to Amsoil.

Color of Engine Oil

Oil Color, Lubrication Ability and Contamination Level

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are designed and engineered for extended drain interval service. The color the AMSOIL on your dipstick (or ANY oil for that matter) has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the oil is suitable for continued use or if it should be drained and replaced. Use the recommended change intervals for both the oil and engine oil filters as specified by AMSOIL.

It is a common misconception that an oil's color is an indication of how dirty it is. This is absolutely NOT TRUE. The color of an oil does not have any bearing on its lubrication ability. Most oil and especially diesel engine oil will turn black in the first few hours of operation due to contaminates generated by the combustion process and soot particles. The ONLY way to accurately determine an oil's lubricating value or contamination level is through (spectrographic) oil analysis. Oil analysis is common practice used regularly in commercial, industrial and fleet operations and can also be used for passenger cars, light trucks or any other application. In addition oil analysis will also determine the exact pars per million (ppm) of wear metals in your oil which provides an indication of any abnormal wear or specific components that need mechanical inspection in addition to checking for any fuel, water or glycol contamination. *At the end of this section you will find a listing of what oil analysis testing checks for.

The useful life of an engine oil is dependent on several factors such as the quality of the oil, type of fuel, equipment condition, type and operating environment of the equipment and, most important, the type of filtration used. The filtration system and the oil are vital tools for preserving engine life. A highly efficient filter is essential to protect an engine by removing both liquid and abrasive contaminants held in suspension by a high quality premium oil such as AMSOIL. When using AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants for extended drain intervals the AMSOIL Super Duty Filter must be changed at 12,500 miles or 6 months for gas engines and 10,000 miles or 6 months for diesel engines, such as the Ford Powerstroke or Dodge Cummins.

If the AMSOIL Dual-Gard or Dual-Remote By-Pass Filtration Systems are used then the AMSOIL Super Duty full flow engine oil filter must be changed at the same intervals as specified above and the by-pass filter(s) changed as indicated by oil analysis results. The oil does not need to be changed when using by-pass filtration unless oil analysis testing indicates it is necessary.

It is not uncommon to get several hundred thousand or more miles on the AMSOIL when using by-pass filtration. A Mack Dealership recently performed a teardown inspection on a 1990 Mack E7-400 diesel engine with 630,000 miles total and 409,000 miles without an oil change and its parts were examined by an engine rater from a major oil additive raw materials manufacturer and supplier. The engine showed light to moderate wear throughout, just as an engine in similar service and lubricated with conventional oil changed at 15,000-20,000- mile intervals (as is common with over-the-road semi-trucks) would show. In fact, according to the engine rater the parts examined- cylinder liners, pistons, rings, bearings, valve train components- could have been put right back in the engine and would have continued to provide the good, dependable service they had provided all along- after 409,000 miles without an oil change! If you would like the full detailed report and photographs of this teardown inspection please e-mail us your address and we will drop it in the mail.

* Oil Analysis Report Items Include:

-sample #, date sampled, date tested, unit #, engine make, model, year, oil brand, viscosity grade, sump capacity, make up oil added, type of filtration, last filter change

- component miles, oil miles, last oil change miles

- % presence of gylcol, water, fuel

- viscosity @40 deg. C. and at 100 deg. C.

- % solids

- soot, oxidation %, NOX %, TBN, TAN

- % iron, chromium, lead, copper, tin, aluminum, nickel, silver, manganese, silicon, boron, sodium, magnesium, calcium, barium, phosphorous, zinc, molybdenum, titanium, vanadium and cadmium

- recommendations and additional test results.
Old 29 Dec 2012, 07:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

By-pass filtration ? sign me up.... imagine if manufacturers could make that happen ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 29 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm
Young Cruiser

With a BMW, Audi or Mercedes turbo, and high-quality synthetic oil and filter, you can go 1 year/10,000 miles between oil changes and push the car ridiculously hard.

With an American car, pushed hard, I would cut that in half.
With dino oil, I would stick with 3000 mile oil changes.

If you have a tubo and push it at all, I would not even consider using dino oil.
Old 29 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm
Banned

Cool Re: 2001 PT Cruiser oil change interval?

The last time i changed my oil was in January
Old 29 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oil doesn't go bad. Might affect your 401 k though If slow oil sales affect stocks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We all believe what we want and then there are facts! Most do what they want regardless of the facts anyway?

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Dec 2012 at 11:34 am. Reason: why bother see response