Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
i think its the starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default i think its the starter

so ive read over and over on this site about starters..... i have an 05 limited non turbo pt. i was having battery problems and the terminals were corroded. so i got all that fixed up and the timing chain went.... at 80,050 miles. chrysler took care of that under warranty (mine was for 80,000) so then it runs fine until one day. boom... nothing. i have full power, battery reads fine, and i can hear the fuel pump. once i turn it over, ONE click and nothing. i bookmarked a page on here for an 02 pt starter removal, is that going to work for my situation?

cant remove starter

does it even sound like the starter/solenoid (i know theyre one unit) or am i looking at a fuse or something else?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: i think its the starter

Did you try and jump start your car from a good car?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 01:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

will try in the a.m. just in case.. what if it starts?? if not?? thanks, nice pt BTW
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If it starts with a jump, the charging system and all the connections from the battery to the starter have to be looked at closely. Corrosion on the cables could cause a loss of power getting to the starter. The cables not only have to be looked at but taken off and carefully examined plus the battery posts and the connection at the starter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If it starts with a jump, the charging system and all the connections from the battery to the starter have to be looked at closely. Corrosion on the cables could cause a loss of power getting to the starter. The cables not only have to be looked at but taken off and carefully examined plus the battery posts and the connection at the starter.
Times 2 !!!!!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2012, 09:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

try banging on the starter while someone else turns the key.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
so i got to the jumpin..... nothing, so i guess its not gonna be as easy as replacing some cables. so are we back on the starter again?? when i jumped it , it did the same thing. one click, nothing (could hear my truck bog down as i tried to start the PT) thanks
Old 06 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

tried banging on the starter and starting. nothing.... so, starter time?? i found one for 99 bucks after core so i think im just gonna pull the trigger on that.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so i changed the starter, charged my battery and went to start it....... click....... still the same thing. what else could i have overlooked? i even attached the jumper cables to see if the battery maybe wasnt fully charged, still nothing.

p.s. for anyone trying to change their starter, it was a very simple process,

1. take off the battery
2. take off the top of air filter box
3. take out the battery tray
4. get the top bolt to starter
5. get to the bottom bolt from underneath ( i used an extension)

my car is on a hill so i didnt want to jack it up, i just took off the plastic skid guard under the bumper. it gave me an extra inch to fit my head under the front, and was able to get the bottom starter bolt just fine. took me about an hour, and im not the greatest mechanic

thanks again!!
Old 15 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have you had the battery checked and load tested? I have issues in the past that the battery was so bad that the car wouldn't jump start. A load test of the battery is where I would have started.