Advertisements
Low oil pressure

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Low oil pressure

Howdy folks

Started my PT 2.4 Ltd this morning and the oil pressure warning lamp on the dash didn't go out. Oil level is ok on the stick but I have noticed some drips of oil on my driveway.

I'm worried about running the engine now as the book says stop immediately and don't drive until the problem is fixed. Sound like I might need to get it towed unless there's anything I can look at myself.

Unfortunately the weather here is rain for forty days and nights and I don't have a garage. Think I'll trade for an ark! Lucky for me I live on top of a hill.

Happy New Year to you all...

Last edited by Stempy; 30 Dec 2012 at 01:52 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Low oil pressure

Don't give up the ghost yet. It may only be a leaking and bad sensor unit these seem to be notoriously famous for both. Get a new sensor before any other action.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Dec 2012, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tip, I'll get one, they seem cheap enough. In the mean time is there an easy way to measure the oil pressure with gauge of some sort?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stempy View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll get one, they seem cheap enough. In the mean time is there an easy way to measure the oil pressure with gauge of some sort?
I'm not sure if there is another access for it other than the hole for the sender. But leaking and false readings are a more than common occurrence on the 2.4. I woulden't feel compeled to use oem. IMHO any manufacture can do as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
CREWZIN and Ray_Dockrey like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Dec 2012 at 02:46 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've just ordered a replacement sensor and will attempt to fit it when it arrives. Had a quick check around the back of the engine block and it seems to be dry around where the sensor is fitted so my oil leak is another problem to deal with.

I hope it is just the sensor and nothing more serious. I won't be driving it until I know for sure. Looks like I might have 'fun' trying to get in there to change it.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I've just ordered a replacement sensor and will attempt to fit it when it arrives. Had a quick check around the back of the engine block and it seems to be dry around where the sensor is fitted so my oil leak is another problem to deal with.

I hope it is just the sensor and nothing more serious. I won't be driving it until I know for sure. Looks like I might have 'fun' trying to get in there to change it.
Skinny arms sure help! Good idea to be sure and wait for the sensor. I't never a good idea to assume on such a potentially risky item. But I would say your are good on the percentages.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2012, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

@Stempy - oh my, I hope to heck it's not the problem I just went through, my rear main seal blew out. Started with a few small drips of oil, then started getting the oil pressure code and man oh man it was going through a quart of oil every two weeks. Thank goodness mine had the lifetime drivetrain warranty or it would have costed me a minimum of $700, per the dealership!
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I swapped out the pressure sender today. Was a much simpler job than I thought and took me just half an hour. Sadly the oil pressure warning light remains lit up with the engine running so not sure on my next move yet.

I'm wondering if it could be a blocked or faulty oil filter as I changed it recently.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

How many miles do you have on your engine? Unfortunately, oil pressure is also
directly related to main bearing and rod bearing clearances as well as cam bearing clearances, if I recall.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Well I swapped out the pressure sender today. Was a much simpler job than I thought and took me just half an hour. Sadly the oil pressure warning light remains lit up with the engine running so not sure on my next move yet.

I'm wondering if it could be a blocked or faulty oil filter as I changed it recently.
Did you clear the codes?