PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
starter maybe?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default starter maybe?

2005 PT was checked over, i've got fuel, spark and air, tech says it sounds like the starter isn't strong enough to crankover, used cables to jump the wire between the battery and the starter, and the battery and the body ground, car sounds like it wants to start but wont, no showing any engine codes could it be the starter itself?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: starter maybe?

It could be but I'm pretty sure starter don't go "weak", they just stop. Sounds like you need to try again with a jump and make sure your getting a good ground.
Chromenut and Busted_PT like this.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto. One thing that was bugging me for around a month was my car starting oddly, sometimes not starting at all, then noticed my headlights at night flickering the louder I turned on my stereo. Just thought it was odd. One day I had stopped at Advance Auto to get new wiper blades and was talking to one of the guys there and he said it was more than likely the battery and not the starter nor the alternator. So he did a load test on the alternator, then on the battery, and the darned battery had two completely dead cells and one leaking down. Bypassed the battery, took power off his load and the car started up immediately with no issues. Replaced the battery and the problem went away. Go figure, the battery voltage readings were good, but if you measured the amperage during the starting process you'd see the load increase, the voltage decrease, and oh boy, did that prove the battery was sucking down.

Anyway, could realistically be your battery - voltage tests okay, but if you do a load test on it you'll see right away that if the voltage starts to drop, it's bad.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

the only issue i see is that i just bought a new battery.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

got the cruiser towed to a mechanic today and found out the issue....turns out i flooded the engine really bad, they cleared it all out and the car starts like a champ now!
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

how does one flood the engine on fuel injected cars? you shouldn't even touch the gas pedal when attempting to start. the fuel pump does that for you.

if you haven't been hitting the pedal when starting, then you have other problems and the flooding will rear it's ugly head again.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i was told my a mechanic to depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor to clear any gas that may have been in the cylinder so i did, now i wont listen to that mechanic again
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecruiser View Post
i was told my a mechanic to depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor to clear any gas that may have been in the cylinder so i did, now i wont listen to that mechanic again
the point is its injected, flooring it when its not running shouldnt move the fuel anywhere, seeing as its not under .....injection. If a fuel injected car is flooding.........thats a bad thing.
Old 03 Jan 2013, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Pluminator - was mechanic who told you to floor the pedal older? That USED to be true before fuel injection & electronic fuel metering, but no longer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Flooring a fuel injected car has the same outcome as trying to use the turn signal without turning they key. No effect, no outcome. does absolutely squat.

I say get a new mechanic all together.