PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine gave up ?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2013, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Engine gave up ?

Well,not sure were to start. Engine was running a little rough at idle. No codes or Mil. Thought maybe a tune-up would fix. I got new plugs ( Champion Copper Plus ) and new wires. Buttoned everything up. Went for a short ride. Engine started sounding like i had a bent push rod or two. On the way back home, Mil came on. Then it acted like i was running out of gas. Then when i turned into my driveway, it died. I got my OBD2 and got P0300,P0304,and P20
74. Next day, i was going to do a compression check. When i got the plugs out, #4 was closed. Compression was 60,160,60,50. I pulled the plug on the front of the timming cover, had wife turn engine over, both cam gears were turning. Engine sounds odd and won't start. I've had race engines slam sparkplugs shut but,i did not think this could happen on the 2.4 ? What do you think ? 2004 na 93000 miles.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine gave up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinoregon View Post
Well,not sure were to start. Engine was running a little rough at idle. No codes or Mil. Thought maybe a tune-up would fix. I got new plugs ( Champion Copper Plus ) and new wires. Buttoned everything up. Went for a short ride. Engine started sounding like i had a bent push rod or two. On the way back home, Mil came on. Then it acted like i was running out of gas. Then when i turned into my driveway, it died. I got my OBD2 and got P0300,P0304,and P20
74. Next day, i was going to do a compression check. When i got the plugs out, #4 was closed. Compression was 60,160,60,50. I pulled the plug on the front of the timming cover, had wife turn engine over, both cam gears were turning. Engine sounds odd and won't start. I've had race engines slam sparkplugs shut but,i did not think this could happen on the 2.4 ? What do you think ? 2004 na 93000 miles.
If the plugs are the same length as the ones removed that can't happen. the only things that can touch is the opposing valves in each cylinder when the belt breaks. The compression says head gasket or valves out of time. Do the cam timing marks line up with each other? Strange about that plug.
mityqwik likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2013, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks BUSTED_PT,
The plugs are RE16MC, or stock. I'll check timming tomarrow.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did the engine run good imediatly after plugs installed,and were you reving it very high at this time?
Old 02 Jan 2013, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinoregon View Post
Thanks BUSTED_PT,
The plugs are RE16MC, or stock. I'll check timming tomarrow.
Did you verify the part number on the plug itself? On rare occasion, I've gotten misboxed plugs before.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got me stumped.
If belt jumped teeth, wouldn't close a plug, and if a connecting rod let loose, you wouldn't get compression readings you got....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2013, 04:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Those are about as long of plugs you can get, so if you got mixed up with older 2.4 (happens frequently) electrode would be retracted into hole.

What we know was engine was running poorly, plugs changed and engine made noises described as 'bent pushrod'.

My guess would be #4 rod failed and cam seized the broke.

On these small engines it very difficult to hear valvetrain noise, and modern vehicles are very well insulated cabins, so it has to be serious noise before for occupants to notice.

And yes, engine will run with a broken rod
Old 02 Jan 2013, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Engine gave up ?

Ok, Checked all plugs,all are RE16MC. Also ,i think maybe the belt has been changed. It looks new and someone has used white paint to mark not only the timming marks but the gears are marked intake and exh. Not sure on the crank mark but the gears line up with the piston all the way up.
The noise sounded like it was comming #1. I would have thought if the rod had broke,it would had hit the valves hard. I was going about 45 mph when everything happened.
Thanks. I also pulled valve cover. When turning over,everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited by lostinoregon; 02 Jan 2013 at 05:32 pm. Reason: add info
Old 02 Jan 2013, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

It is possible something ended up *in* the combustion chamber and smashed the electrode? A piece of rubber, piston ring, etc.? Do you have a boroscope you can stick in there for a look? Harbor Freight has a $100 one that's ok.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, if rod broke, there's be no compression, would there?
You'd have to be really dumb to say something like that.

Could be cam pin sheared-