Advertisements
HATE my pt

Like Tree21Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HATE my pt

This is the most uncomfortable car I have EVER driven. But, putting that aside, my MPG's are HORRIBLE!! I am talking 21 mpg on the hiway at 70 with the cruise on.
It's an 06 Touring with auto. It has a newer cat, newer lower O2, newer plugs/wires, new timing belt/water pump. Since I have owned it in less than two years I have replaced all of the above items, PLUS the tie rod ends, both struts, control am bushings, sway bar links, one strut mount and BOTH torque motor mounts.

My concern is the mpg. These are supposed to get in the upper 20's and I have never seen that. The best I have seen is 25, going down a hill. Is there something I am missing??

Also, my headlights. When I have them on and use the turn signal, they go off for a split second. I really would love to just get rid of it and get something else. I am a diehard MOPAR guy, but this things is about to get the boot.

Oh, I forgot. The hatch will only open with the key. I don't know if there is any other way to get it to open. There is no way I can see. And the seats are the worst to keep clean. Some cheap cloth material, grrrrrrrrr
rob342 likes this.

Last edited by oldschoolpt; 02 Jan 2013 at 08:11 pm.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HATE my pt

As for the fuel mileage, mine at best will get 25mpg on a trip.2001 LTD 5spd.As for the comfort I am a small 165lb guy and my PT is very comfortable,leather premium seats though.And for the repairs its not just the PT wearing everything out to quickly,it seems to be most 4 cylinder front drive cars on the market including the PT.I like my PT and it was very reliable untill 10 years and 90K miles,now it seems as everything is wore out at once.Iv'e also seen the same in most every other make of car lately.You've done the repairs so you might want to try a set of seats next to help with the comfort.JMO.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

heck mines an 03 and i get batter gas mileage, Could it be your driving habits?

Also a 06 is 7 years old, you dont expect to have to do maintenance to a 7 year old car?

not trying to be mean but.....your kind of complaining about normal every day things that every model of car has to have done.....

Dont feel bad though, i've had mine since may, and the previous owner beat the junk out of it, im $7,200 into mine. And i got it for free.

So your a lucky one lol

Its not the cars fault, probably the previous owners fault.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have had Neons, Lebarons, Shelby Charger, Omni's and NONE Of them had seats like these. A short drive across town and my upper legs are numb. Heck, even my 14 year old daughter complains.
As far as replacing parts, I understand that things wear out, but in no way should the whole front end have to be replaced. IMO it is cheap parts. My parents 98 Intrepid they bought new and now has over 180k miles has had no where near the amount of stuff replaced. I don't expect new car buying a used one but also don't expect to have to replace part after part after part when its not that old. And, who does know what the previous owner did to it, so that's possible too.

My driving habits, I am not a racer lol. I leave stops slowly, dont drive like a crazy man and use the cruise as often as I can. I even put new aluminum rims on it and that didn't help any. Thing is, when I first bought the car, it was getting 28 mpg. Then, the O2 and cat went out and have since been slowly dropping. Was down to 25, then 21 and now 19. Heck, may as well buy the truck I want at them mpg's lol.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Once you hate it you might as well get rid of it.

Start @ $1000 and drop down as needed!
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolpt View Post
I have had Neons, Lebarons, Shelby Charger, Omni's and NONE Of them had seats like these. A short drive across town and my upper legs are numb. Heck, even my 14 year old daughter complains.
As far as replacing parts, I understand that things wear out, but in no way should the whole front end have to be replaced. IMO it is cheap parts. My parents 98 Intrepid they bought new and now has over 180k miles has had no where near the amount of stuff replaced. I don't expect new car buying a used one but also don't expect to have to replace part after part after part when its not that old. And, who does know what the previous owner did to it, so that's possible too.

My driving habits, I am not a racer lol. I leave stops slowly, dont drive like a crazy man and use the cruise as often as I can. I even put new aluminum rims on it and that didn't help any. Thing is, when I first bought the car, it was getting 28 mpg. Then, the O2 and cat went out and have since been slowly dropping. Was down to 25, then 21 and now 19. Heck, may as well buy the truck I want at them mpg's lol.
the cheap parts are correct! sadly OEM Mopar bushings are junk. I just had to redo my control arm bushings, swaybar links and ball joints after a mere 20k on them. which is ridiculous.

There is however salvation. MOOG :-D they are brightly colored rock hard bushings that places like pep boys, autozone and VIP auto carry for pretty cheap. They last 5X longer than OEM bushings. My neon would blow lower control arm bushings once a year, i threw some moog in there, well lets say i sold the car 4 years later before they even looked like they needed to be changed.

and odds are, if things are goin that quick, either they were not torqued correctly, installed wrong or as previously mentioned the previous owner beat the junk out of it. if a car is driven normally, things last, if people stop hard, accelerate harshly, turn like they are in nascar.....well ya get the point lol

If you feel its worth saving to you, replace the front end again, but use MOOG bushings, youll be pleasantly surprised at how long they last.

The gas mileage could be a multitude of issues, fuel injectors, pump, filter, over compression under compression, plugs, wires haha best thing is to take it to the dealer and have them run a full $80 diagnostic, which will tell you exactly why its dropping like a rock.

Cars lose HP and fuel economy as they age, however losing near 10mpg in 7 years, tells me something is chewing it up.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, sadly I can't afford to sell it for 1000 lol. Still owe more than that on it.

I will admit that the sway bar links weren't the cars fault. And one tie rod end wasn't bad. I had a clunk in the right front so I swapped the tie rod (was making same noise as drivers side was when it was bad). Turned out, it wasn't that. It was the strut/mount according to the shop. So, replaced both. Still clunked. Took it back and found that they had stripped the threads on the sway bar mount and it wouldn't tighten up. So, they replaced both free of charge.

Any ideas on what to fix on the rear latch? It seems there should be a "button" but mine won't do anything and there is a piece that is peeling away from the back side. I guess I have to replace that as well.

Also, tire wear is normal. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolpt View Post

You know the mileage thing, the maintenance stuff, You might not have thought of. And the seats! What you didn't test drive before you bought. Seats suck that bad, had to suck that day. Just get ride of it. There are actually people that like there pts on here that need my help.
mityqwik likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:47 pm
Banned

Cool Re: HATE my pt

I have an 06, no issues, picked it out almost 2 years ago.

Guess I have a better picker, dunno

Good luck
mityqwik likes this.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 02 Jan 2013 at 10:00 pm.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have an 06 limited and love the seats! Drove from Ohio to Atlanta with back issues and I never had to pull over to relieve any pain. I get 21 to 25 mpg. You will get better milage at 60 mph than 70. You probably noticed that the shape is similar to a brick and they do not glide thru the wind. It is also heavy.
mityqwik and Ray_Dockrey like this.
Closed Thread