Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wierd problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default wierd problem?

Hey guys i have a little prob here bought my pt with 136k on it,and its a 2005 when ever i pull a u turn on my street i pull in a driveway put it in reverse and my car dies b4 i can give her some juice.now ive just replaced the altenator and alt wires but it is a cold start when i do im kinda thinking maybe the fuel pump or carb could be causing it but not sure any help would be appreciated

Regards snorky
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: wierd problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
Hey guys i have a little prob here bought my pt with 136k on it,and its a 2005 when ever i pull a u turn on my street i pull in a driveway put it in reverse and my car dies b4 i can give her some juice.now ive just replaced the altenator and alt wires but it is a cold start when i do im kinda thinking maybe the fuel pump or carb could be causing it but not sure any help would be appreciated

Regards snorky
The PT does not have a carb. If the fuel pump was dying it would just be dead so thats good news.

There are many things that can cause this, when a car is put in reverse it is put under slightly more load than it is in drive.

Start with power options, battery , terminals, connections, and grounds.

If those are all good check the camshaft sensor, idle air control valve, all vaccume lines, fuel injectors, EGR valve. for dirt, craked or worn bits etc

IS your engine showing a check engine light?
Old 04 Jan 2013, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

lol shows you how much ik but no lights are on and everything elec is good just replaced the alt and battery last mounth.I thought it could be the IAC but havent had time to check evrything else
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
lol shows you how much ik but no lights are on and everything elec is good just replaced the alt and battery last mounth.I thought it could be the IAC but havent had time to check evrything else
well the IAC is a very likely cause, especially if it only does it in reverse, my car used to sputter down when i put it in reverse all the time, never died, but came pretty close. Cleaned the IAC and the problem went away :-)