Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Leak from transmission solenoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Leak from transmission solenoid

Have a 2001 Pt Crusier. 137 k... Well some one earlier ask this ?.
Where does leak from the solenoid drop in relation to underneath the vehicle.
Was having a transmission pan leak I thought. So went ahead and change the transmission filter and seal. The original one was RTV sealant - grey in color.
The fram came with a rubber gasket. Change now complete... But the next day I still have same leak in same location... Went to forum , transmission solenoid leaking. Jack up the front again, could not see the leak because the front pan was hiding the leak area.

But the fluid was all over the transmission pan, and leaking from the back side transmission pan, passenger side -- and we know the solenoid is up front.

Well pick up a duralast solenoid from auto zone... follow direction from this form ... and solve the transmission leak.... It was the solenoid the total time...... Other said that it started to leak in cold weather, so did mine...

Bit of advice-- used two cans of brake cleaner, clean it out using air 80psi.. a Must!

Rate at scale of difficult 7/10 think the hardest part is to get the battery bracket off.

Again make sure the area is cleanbefore removing solenoid ---

Tools required 15mm socket with extension for battery bracket 4xbolts , 10mm for battery tray 5xbolts. 1 inch deep socket for speed sensor... line man pliers for transmission line 2x , and 8mm for 3 solenoid bolts, ans 1 for the electrical connector..... 1 - remove air box, then battery and tray, then battery bracket, 2x transmission line did not leak fluid.
remove speed sensor. then solenoid--- clean off gasket with razor... reverse order
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Leak from transmission solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by brh8 View Post
Have a 2001 Pt Crusier. 137 k... Well some one earlier ask this ?.
Where does leak from the solenoid drop in relation to underneath the vehicle.
Was having a transmission pan leak I thought. So went ahead and change the transmission filter and seal. The original one was RTV sealant - grey in color.
The fram came with a rubber gasket. Change now complete... But the next day I still have same leak in same location... Went to forum , transmission solenoid leaking. Jack up the front again, could not see the leak because the front pan was hiding the leak area.

But the fluid was all over the transmission pan, and leaking from the back side transmission pan, passenger side -- and we know the solenoid is up front.

Well pick up a duralast solenoid from auto zone... follow direction from this form ... and solve the transmission leak.... It was the solenoid the total time...... Other said that it started to leak in cold weather, so did mine...

Bit of advice-- used two cans of brake cleaner, clean it out using air 80psi.. a Must!

Rate at scale of difficult 7/10 think the hardest part is to get the battery bracket off.

Again make sure the area is cleanbefore removing solenoid ---

Tools required 15mm socket with extension for battery bracket 4xbolts , 10mm for battery tray 5xbolts. 1 inch deep socket for speed sensor... line man pliers for transmission line 2x , and 8mm for 3 solenoid bolts, ans 1 for the electrical connector..... 1 - remove air box, then battery and tray, then battery bracket, 2x transmission line did not leak fluid.
remove speed sensor. then solenoid--- clean off gasket with razor... reverse order
This is extremely true haha
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Re-read my post -- just clarify that I used 2 can of brake cleaner around the solenoid to clean the area for removal... an earlier post, said that two transmission had to be completely rebuilt after the install, because dirt fell into some of the passages when the unit was removed....

paramount to have the total area clean before removal...

If your reading this an attempting to do this job... just be patient.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i did exactly what you said to do but for some reason it still doesnt want to work. car wont shift up out of first.