PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Beginner question about plug wire lengths.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2013, 08:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Beginner question about plug wire lengths.

I bought a box of spark plug wires, and the instruction page that came in the box says to lay them out by size. The picture shows them each one longer than the last one, 4 different lengths. When I look at the wires themselves, they all look the same size to me, even when I stretch them out.

This makes no sense to me, considering the routes from the distributor to the plugs. Should there be 2 longer, 2 shorter? I think I can see some are a little shorter than the others but it's a matter of millimeters and I'm just not sure what to do next as far as which one goes where in the engine.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 09:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Beginner question about plug wire lengths.

Yes, if you look at the 11th picture below, two shorter wires and two longer wires. It will also show you which wires go to which plugs.

Old 05 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Great tutorial!

I hate aftermarket wires worse than sand in my shorts.
They are always far too long (aftermarket wires, that is).

That being said, IDK why 2.4's have straight coil connectors (or distributor as OP calls it) and 2.0's have 90* boots, it just makes so much more sense;

For all intents and purposes, they're the same thing
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

That's the tutorial I've been referencing. It's just that it was stressed to replace them in the right order, but all my wires are the same. I can't lay them out in order of length if they're the same length......

Fair warning - don't go by what I call my car's parts. I use a loose system of looking at pictures, observation and then guessing. My old car had a distributor that was like a domed cylinder, you could pop off the clips and open it up to view the rotor and wipe out the cap if it got condensation in it. My PT doesn't have anything looking like that
but I assumed it's in there somewhere near the wires? I thought maybe it was what the end of the wires clips onto. Guessing.

This project is on hold til it stops raining. Got the intake manifold covered with a trash bag and the hood lowered as far as it can sit gently. Sigh. No garage, no overhang, no nothin'...

Last edited by mnahmnah; 06 Jan 2013 at 12:32 am. Reason: just clarifying
Old 06 Jan 2013, 01:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Its not uncommon on many inexpensive spark plug wire sets for some engines to have almost the same size wire lengths. The PT's application will not make a difference or have any adverse effect if you don't get them exactly correct as long as they are not being stretched or pulled to make the routing and go in there proper position on the coils terminal referencing the cylinder. The wires are so short to begin with that even wires with a higher ohms resistance rating and the generally low engine speed would never see any positive or negative result. As a rule I always suggest shop for quality wire set with the lowest ohms your pocket book can afford.

uptown the convoluted wire cover on the plug wires looks very Mad Max

I loved that movie when it first came out and still do today! Always wanted to make a genuine electrically *motor driven Blower!

* generally speaking motors at one time were refereed and considered electrical and engines fueled.

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Jan 2013 at 03:03 am. Reason: clarity of wire postion
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its not uncommon on many inexpensive spark plug wire sets for some engines to have almost the same size wire lengths. The PT's application will not make a difference or have any adverse effect if you don't get them exactly correct as long as they are not being stretched or pulled to make the routing. The wires are so short to begin with that even wires with a higher ohms resistance rating and the generally low engine speed would never see any positive or negative result. As a rule I always suggest shop for quality wire set with the lowest ohms your pocket book can afford.

uptown the convoluted wire cover on the plug wires looks very Mad Max

I loved that movie when it first came out and still do today! Always wanted to make a genuine electrically *motor driven Blower!

* generally speaking motors at one time were refereed and considered electrical and engines fueled.
There was another movie with Chuck Norris in it (He was a Texas ranger) where they bury him in his Dodge Ramcharger and he has an electric super charger just like that one and he flipps the switch and come busting out of the ground. Good movie but the name slips me right now.. Oops sorry for the Thread jack.

Edit: after writing this I had to Google the name of the movie "Lone Wolf Mcquade"

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH

Last edited by needmoretoys; 06 Jan 2013 at 02:05 am. Reason: Googled it
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
That's the tutorial I've been referencing. It's just that it was stressed to replace them in the right order, but all my wires are the same. I can't lay them out in order of length if they're the same length......

Fair warning - don't go by what I call my car's parts. I use a loose system of looking at pictures, observation and then guessing. My old car had a distributor that was like a domed cylinder, you could pop off the clips and open it up to view the rotor and wipe out the cap if it got condensation in it. My PT doesn't have anything looking like that
but I assumed it's in there somewhere near the wires? I thought maybe it was what the end of the wires clips onto. Guessing.

This project is on hold til it stops raining. Got the intake manifold covered with a trash bag and the hood lowered as far as it can sit gently. Sigh. No garage, no overhang, no nothin'...
If you are worried about putting the wires on in the wrong order then just change them one wire at a time. You will not have any troubles that way.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Hi Lenny,

Is there a way to do it wrong if the wires are all the same? Seems like there's either no way to do it wrong, or the wrong wires are in the box.

??
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
There was another movie with Chuck Norris in it (He was a Texas ranger) where they bury him in his Dodge Ramcharger and he has an electric super charger just like that one and he flipps the switch and come busting out of the ground. Good movie but the name slips me right now.. Oops sorry for the Thread jack.

Edit: after writing this I had to Google the name of the movie "Lone Wolf Mcquade"
I know that movie but have not watched it in years. I don't remember that car, now I have to Netflick it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If you are worried about putting the wires on in the wrong order then just change them one wire at a time. You will not have any troubles that way.

You speak as if you have had a few V-8's in your life time?
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Hi Lenny,

Is there a way to do it wrong if the wires are all the same? Seems like there's either no way to do it wrong, or the wrong wires are in the box.

??
If she didn't have me on the ignore setting she would be able to read what I posted??
Maybe someone can "quote" what I said in your response for her?