PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine repair or replace advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2013, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine repair or replace advice

Hello All,

I am trying to help out a friend with their 2001 PT Cruiser. By reading many of the threads on this site and inspecting the car I am quite sure it has a bad head gasket - combustion gasses appear to be displacing the coolant from the cooling system. I would normally just go ahead and get the gasket, head bolts, new water pump and timing belt and get it done - (redeck the head if needed), but the owner has also noted that the engine lube oil consumption has gone from negligible to adding everytime they fill the gas tank (no external leaks). They believe it is part of a hotter running engine - I fear it may be damage from a particularly bad overheat. At this point I am recommending putting in an engine from a wrecker than spending time and money on the original engine with its possible multiple faults - Advice anyone?
Old 06 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine repair or replace advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng87 View Post
Hello All,

I am trying to help out a friend with their 2001 PT Cruiser. By reading many of the threads on this site and inspecting the car I am quite sure it has a bad head gasket - combustion gasses appear to be displacing the coolant from the cooling system. I would normally just go ahead and get the gasket, head bolts, new water pump and timing belt and get it done - (redeck the head if needed), but the owner has also noted that the engine lube oil consumption has gone from negligible to adding everytime they fill the gas tank (no external leaks). They believe it is part of a hotter running engine - I fear it may be damage from a particularly bad overheat. At this point I am recommending putting in an engine from a wrecker than spending time and money on the original engine with its possible multiple faults - Advice anyone?
If its eating that much oil with no leaks, the head is probably cracked or warped and will need to be replaced, or planed at least before a gasket can be put in.

I would plan for a wrecker engine, and tear down that motor to the head, see how she looks, if it just needs to be planed, probably best to plane it, throw at new gasket in and rebuild .

If the head is cracked, at around $600 a piece, may be better to throw a new motor in then rebuild the old one over a period, then sell it as a rebuild.

JMO. :-)
Old 06 Jan 2013, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As long as you're taking head off, dissemble remainder and determine why.
Or it could be as simple as the PCV valve

No one's ever installed a junkyard engine that's been worse than the one it's replacing.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
As long as you're taking head off, dissemble remainder and determine why.
Or it could be as simple as the PCV valve

No one's ever installed a junkyard engine that's been worse than the one it's replacing.
Road tested parts usually work well, most junk yards test and guarantee motors :-)
Old 06 Jan 2013, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just made a near identical post to this earlier today. I am in a similar boat. My biggest concern is the downtime. I need this to be a weekend project as it is currently my daily driver and I just don't know what condition the head is in until I get it off. Mine also has a healthy appetite for oil...about a quart every 2-3 weeks (which equates to equates to 1000-1500 miles).

J
Old 07 Jan 2013, 12:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the suggestions and cautions - I am interested in finding out what has happened to this engine(will document and post what I find) - but similar to jksoft the owner needs this as her daily transport and I would like to limit my vollentold labor to one weekend. Most of the wreckers were closed when I started my search but the one that was open had one with less than 60k miles on it for $700 - I have bought automatic trans from them before and found them OK to deal with.

One thing I thought peculiar, is that when I found the engine down by about 2 qts of coolant, the temperature gauge was still displaying a very normal looking mid range reading when running (low speed in a neighbourhood and idling in the driveway) is this just a feature of the location of the sensor?
Old 07 Jan 2013, 01:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It doesn't make sense to replace the engine before knowing the cause of the oil consumption. For all you know, it has bad valve seals, which you would be replacing anyway as part of the head job.

Now if the problem is rings, then yes, replace the engine. But there's no sense if the only problem is valve seals and a head gasket.

Identify the problem before you decide on a repair.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 02:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Think of cost as well.

How much would you be charging her to remove, plane the head, replace valve seals /head gasket and put it all back together *head gasket on a 4cyl is about 13-16 hours in my exp + cost of gakset seals etc*

VS.

How much for the price of the new motor, plus labor to rip out the old and throw in the new.

Take into account once you've pulled the old if you can just replace the gasket and re-sell for $500-$900 for the motor depending on mileage?

If its cheaper to swap the motor, that may be the way to go, i know a motor swap is 5-6 hours vs the 13-16 of a head gasket so....