PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2013, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Ok nobody reads the projects threads and I see someone has gone through a lot of grief on this so here is a on the cheep way to do the job.

First pulling the balancer. This a standard 4" puller. Works without any effort.

You will need to remove one leg to insert the tools other legs into the balancer. Insert a rod or bolt small enough to not ingauge the threads in to the crank, long enough to extend approximately 1 1/2 inches past the end of the balancer. Then twist the third leg into the balancer hole and re-attache the leg to the tool. Push on the rod by screwing the center bolt in until balancer comes off.

Next we go to the crank sprocket. Will need some long bolts for this and a standard steering wheel puller.;

Just me but I took measurements so I would have no doubt I put it back exactly as I removed it, the grove was not perfectly lined up with sprocket.

Use the cone adapter if you have it. Keeps things lined up. Thread the three bolts with washers into the sprocked until they bottom out. (by hand only) Then screw the center bolt in until sprocket comes off.

Next will be the things you will need to re-install both. Some you have already seen.

The bag in the picture is has the size of the bolt used to re-install both peaces. Also is a collection of washers, a nut and a length of exhaust pipe 1 1/8 inches long that I used to make the install tool as well as the bolts to pull the sprocket. The big bolt is grade 10.9 M12 - 1.75X140P . Will need a nut the same size. The three smaller bolts are 6 - 1.00 about 4" long

Install the key and line up the sprocket. Put the nut on the bolt then the washer or washers then the pipe and screw by hand till it bottoms out in the crank. Then use two wrenches, one to hold the crank from turning. The other to push the sprocket back into place, using the feeler gauge to know when to stop. Remove bolt and check the other measurement.

Slide the balancer on the crank take the bolt with the nut an washer and thread into crank by hand till it bottoms out. Then use the wrenches to hold the crank and the other to push the balancer in place. Remove the tool and install the crank bolt and torque to spec. 100ft I believe. Hope this is of use to some of you, who like me can't buy a tool for every occasion.

For more info look here. About page 9 or 10. Busted_PT project 1

Timing Marks as they should look. I suggest to take pictures of yours before you put it back to show and verify their position if you run into problems later. Then you can refer back to these if a questions arise.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 15 Aug 2013 at 09:01 am. Reason: Added timing marks pictures!
Old 06 Jan 2013, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

I read your great project thread and also it is good to see this as a separate how to.

For those that don't use the search feature to often:
Busted_PT project 1

Busted_PT project 1

^^^Click on ^^^
Busted_PT likes this.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 03:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Thanks for the good tech.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Thanks for the good tech.
Thanks didn't see any good picks and with some talking about beating it back on .. I figured some folks might also need to change seal also. I have three to deal with before it's over. Well worth the time to figure this out. I spend the money I saved on timing belt parts.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
some talking about beating it back on
Good way to fubar the thrust bearing .
Old 11 Jan 2013, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Good way to fubar the thrust bearing .
Ya, be afraid to beat on a cast crank anyway. This way no worries an even less money. It's all good. Thanks for the kind words.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Busted_PT,

Nice writeup and pics.

Very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thought I would pull this up out of oblivion for those who are into this at the moment. Not the easiest to find as it is not in the stickys. Hope this is good for you folks. PM me and I will give you my number for questions. Or post and someone as well as I will help.

Leave you comments or suggestions here. On whether these was a help for you.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 12 Mar 2013 at 11:29 am.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bringing back for Tazzzzzzzzzzzzz

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 02:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Nice job. Thank you.