Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sway bar bushes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2013, 08:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Sway bar bushes

Just thought I'd post this since they are so many "front end clunk" posts on the forum.

Changed the two inner front sway bar bushes the other day to urethene ones as it was frequently making a loud clunk every time you go over a bump. The difference in size was between the old bushes and new ones was significant. The inner diameter of the old ones was oval in shape which is probably where most of the free play and noise was coming from.

Cheap to buy and easy to do if anyone is struggling to find the cause of a front end clunk, it's worth checking as it cured mine 100%.

btw, one of the clamp bolts which holds the bar and bushes in place sheared off when I was taking it out. Had to use an easy out to remove it and replace the bolt.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Sway bar bushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davea300 View Post
Just thought I'd post this since they are so many "front end clunk" posts on the forum.

Changed the two inner front sway bar bushes the other day to urethene ones as it was frequently making a loud clunk every time you go over a bump. The difference in size was between the old bushes and new ones was significant. The inner diameter of the old ones was oval in shape which is probably where most of the free play and noise was coming from.

Cheap to buy and easy to do if anyone is struggling to find the cause of a front end clunk, it's worth checking as it cured mine 100%.

btw, one of the clamp bolts which holds the bar and bushes in place sheared off when I was taking it out. Had to use an easy out to remove it and replace the bolt.
you are 100% correct sir. This is how i fixed my front end clunk. It is super easy to do as well :-)

I agree, the sway bar bushings and links are......easily broken and should be replaced every year in my OP :-D just to keep her nice and quiet haha