PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just had a fright

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2013, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Just had a fright

When into the garage to make a video with my new SONY Snap Camera that I received for Xmas.

I had just used the PT the day before to go to the Sheriff's office and returned at the end of the day about 4:30pm, everything seemed fine.

I started the car and the revs jumped up to about 3,000 and blipping the throttle only made the revs to go down to 1,000 and back up, and back down and so on. I wanted to pull out of the garage so I could get a good look under the hood and the brake pedal was rock solid. Moving out about 20 feet it took every once of foot strength to make the car come to a stop.

Shut it off, opened the hood and looked around, nothing. Came back in the house and immediately went to the computer for a search. "High revs and hard brake pedal" was the search. One of the Google answers was one of MY OWN answer to someone else on this forum. It said both problems are related to a vacuum leak, probably from the brake booster.

So out I go under the hood with a bunch of tools. The air filter comes off. The vanity cover and the chrome cover over the computer has to come off because it hides the brake booster but before that the upper strut bar was in the way. Everything off, started looking around and tracing the vacuum lines from the booster.

Sure enough, the large line from booster to the back of the upper manifold had slipped off. Got a zip tie and made sure that thing won't come off by itself again. All back together and working fine. Good feeling.

Now to find out how to post a video on the forum.
mityqwik and UptownSport like this.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 01:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Just had a fright

Glad you and the car are both ok - nice that you had actually answered that before!
Old 08 Jan 2013, 01:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Was anybody watching ? LOL .. sounds like you thought your PT needed an exorcist..
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Was anybody watching ? LOL .. sounds like you thought your PT needed an exorcist..
Almost thought that. The idle from 1-3000 was about every other second. Up/Down Up/down. Not sure why it did that. Should have just gone high with a vacuum leak and stayed there.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red06limited View Post
Glad you and the car are both ok - nice that you had actually answered that before!

Yea, it was. Here was the Google answer that I listened to myself. It was back in September 2007 !!!

no brakes!!
Old 08 Jan 2013, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, it's almost like back in 2007 you knew, subconciously, that you were going to have a problem in 2013, so you pretty much did a post so you could read it in the future.

As i always guessed, you're from the future.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, if this works, this is why I went out to the garage with my new Sony Snap Camera.

Didn't work really well. Should be a video here. You have to click on the second picture which takes you to my Photobucket video. Somebody tell me if it works.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Jan 2013 at 04:39 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It WOIKS! - Video shows you slowly panning over the engine - right to left, then back to right.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2013, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Don. Just can't figure out why it won't play right on the forum.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, if you upload your video to you tube first you will be able to post it on the forum and it will show up as a video link and will play at the forum level. Have done this several times in the past.

I have tried to post a video that I save in photobucket and have the same results as you with it reverting back to the photobucket website. It's there way of getting additional traffic to their site to sell something.

By posting to you tube first you can insert it into a forum posting without having to go to a hosting website.This was taken at Xmas parade this year:

By posting to you tube and doing a cut and past this is what you get.

Hope this helps

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi