PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thermostat housing problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Thermostat housing problem

Hello

I've been trying to avoid going to the repair shop to pay close to $400 to replace the thermostat housing by replacing it myself since it has a slow leak. I purchased a new housing and gasket and was ready to go. My question is do I need to remove the intake manifold to be able to unclip the hose that holds the housing? I've never done this before so I wasn't sure what was safe to do or if there was an easier way to go about this.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thermostat housing problem

Some have done it both ways. If you remove the intake tape over the lower section so nothing falls into the engine.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, you'll have to take off the upper intake to give yourself room to maneuver around. The upper intake isn't hard to take off. The 5 bolts in the front, a couple of vacuum lines and one or two bolts at the throttle body. UNLESS, you have a 2001 or early 2002. If you do, you need to take off the EGR tube at the back of the manifold. Two bolts (13mm and 8mm) hold it to the rear of the manifold.

Looks like Busted did it without removing the manifold. He must have "kids' hands to get into those tight spaces.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

You can use a combination of u-joints and wobbles to get to the bolts without removing the intake manifold. IIRC I may have used a stubby ratcheting wrench as well.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 10:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Personally i would remove the intake, gives you MUCH more room to work with. last thing you wanna do is accidentally drop a bolt and lose it :/ especially if this is your maiden voyage on this repair haha.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, anyone have a tutorial on removing the intake manifold?
Old 09 Jan 2013, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSana View Post
So, anyone have a tutorial on removing the intake manifold?
Here:
Spark Plug Guide

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Wow,perfect thank you!

Tags
car trouble, diy, thermostat, thermostat housing