Can't remove IAC valve ... ideas?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By Ray_Dockrey
  • 2 Post By randomzombie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2013, 01:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Can't remove IAC valve ... ideas?

Stripped 3 hex keys already and used liquid wrench on the bolts. Is there a different kind of tool for it? I don't have hex bits or know what kind of tool they go in that would fit there.

Also how do you get that connector off? There seems to be a trick but I can't see the underneath part to figure out the puzzle. There's probably a plastic thing I need to push in to slide it off, but not much room in there.. just found a dentists mirror so maybe that'll help a little, but please just shortcut me to the answer ... that would be great.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 01:07 am.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 01:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can't remove IAC valve ... ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
Stripped 3 hex keys already and used liquid wrench on the bolts. Is there a different kind of tool for it? I don't have hex bits or know what kind of tool they go in that would fit there.

Also how do you get that connector off? There seems to be a trick but I can't see the underneath part to figure out the puzzle. There's probably a plastic thing I need to push in to slide it off, but not much room in there.. just found a dentists mirror so maybe that'll help a little, but please just shortcut me to the answer ... that would be great.
irwin bolt puller set :-D $13 at the home depot, stick the socket on the bolt, whack it with a ratchet so it bites in and turn it out :-D *will have to replace the bolts though*.

the connector on mine just slid off with a little flat head prying, but i dont know if it had been removed before and there was a locking tab or not :/
Old 09 Jan 2013, 02:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Okay thanks. I'll try not to break the bolts...
Old 09 Jan 2013, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

These are most likely star bits (torx) not Allan (hex). You get a cheap set at some discount tool stores.
mnahmnah likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 09 Jan 2013 at 08:18 am.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 08:52 am
Senior Cruiser

According to this they are T-20 Torx:

Best tool to remove IAC
mnahmnah and Busted_PT like this.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
According to this they are T-20 Torx:
Just in case anyone else in the future has questions and comes upon this thread - as I did just today - I'll clarify that in my experience there are two models of IAC valve out there in PTs.

The lower model - which is in my '03 Touring Edition - does not exist if you're using Chilton or the official service manual (at least the 2003 editions). I'm guessing the above Torx value is in reference to the upper, normal(?) model, as wanting to clean my IAC in the next day or so i fitted both the T-20 and the T-25 to my version tonight at O'Reilly's. The T-25 was the one.

So: lower model = T-25, for sure.
I should probably add that the references to the pintle, et cetera, in Chilton and the service manual are probably not relevant when servicing the lower version...

Thus concludes my attempt at giving back to this awesome forum...
Old 19 Jan 2014, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just wanted to add, as I was still having ignition and idle problems after fixing my charging problems with an alternator change, I got around to dismantling and cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve last night, and also changed my PCV valve and hose.

Wow, so much carbon, and the PCV was shot, too. Gotta say, I'm quite impressed with the difference the cleaning made. No more erratic idle and RPMs at gear changes so far! Car is driving better than it had in quite a while. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Also would add that getting my IAC valve off would've been a lot more difficult had I not removed the entire throttle body as well, which was much simpler than I thought it'd be.