PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny Conversion: 2WD to AWD

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tranny Conversion: 2WD to AWD

Yes, I know this is a costly idea so please save the "just sell it and go buy a Subaru" comments when I ask in all seriousness: could it be done?

My beloved '06 Cruiser is a 5-Speed manual transmission base model...and I love her. I have never missed a scheduled service and replaced most of the wear-and-tear parts at least once. Just went in for my 100k service and everything is running tip-top. BUT, I have a sneaking suspicion that my next major repair will involve the tranny as I have had to do nothing more than regular fluid changes and replaced the clutch a couple of years ago.

In addition to the threat of possible future tranny repairs, I recently moved from the deep south to the snowy north. The city plows are pretty good, but now I need something with a little more bite on the road. Good tires only get you so far up here...I want to turn my Cruiser into a little tank!

Question: Is it technologically feasible to pull a stock 5 spd tranny from my Cruiser and replace it with an aftermarket AWD transmission? I realize it would be a costly install (if possible at all), but if my other option is to trade up and just buy a 4x4, well that ain't cheap either.

Plus, how cool would it be to drop a Cruiser on a nice AWD tranny complete with a nice new set of fat nobby all weather tires? And while I'm at it, I'd love to install cruise control as well...the only real bummer with the base model 5spd.

OK, go!
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Tranny Conversion: 2WD to AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Cruiser View Post
Yes, I know this is a costly idea so please save the "just sell it and go buy a Subaru" comments when I ask in all seriousness: could it be done?

My beloved '06 Cruiser is a 5-Speed manual transmission base model...and I love her. I have never missed a scheduled service and replaced most of the wear-and-tear parts at least once. Just went in for my 100k service and everything is running tip-top. BUT, I have a sneaking suspicion that my next major repair will involve the tranny as I have had to do nothing more than regular fluid changes and replaced the clutch a couple of years ago.

In addition to the threat of possible future tranny repairs, I recently moved from the deep south to the snowy north. The city plows are pretty good, but now I need something with a little more bite on the road. Good tires only get you so far up here...I want to turn my Cruiser into a little tank!

Question: Is it technologically feasible to pull a stock 5 spd tranny from my Cruiser and replace it with an aftermarket AWD transmission? I realize it would be a costly install (if possible at all), but if my other option is to trade up and just buy a 4x4, well that ain't cheap either.

Plus, how cool would it be to drop a Cruiser on a nice AWD tranny complete with a nice new set of fat nobby all weather tires? And while I'm at it, I'd love to install cruise control as well...the only real bummer with the base model 5spd.

OK, go!
yes.....and no lol

Is it possible to make a PT awd? Yes. Is it possible to do it with a tranny swap? NO.

What would be required of this task. Is to find a different motor, probably a 4cl/v6/v8 that is already 4x4 and a accompanying rear facing transmission that will accept a rear drivetrain.

Once you have those you would have to severely mod the vehicle, including the motor compartment, frame as well and remove your entire rear end, and replace it with a rear end with drive axles.

I would estimate the cost of this anywhere between $10,000 and $18,000.

I've actually never seen an AWD PT because of this issue, i've thought of it myself, but it really is cheaper just to buy a AWD than convert one. Also if you did this it would not really change the value of the car so when you went to re-sell it 90% of your costs would be pure loss.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Anything is possible, given enough time and money. This sounds like a cool idea, but would probably be insanely expensive.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did Chrysler ever offer a awd with the 2.4 in the minivan. I know they did in the v6 but only in the automatic. A good machinist should be able to make that work. Would also need the rest of the drive line from the front transaxel to rear end. Floor pan would need a tunnel for drive shaft.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default consider a 4x4 conversion instead?

It is not a machinist but someone that does Drive-train conversions. There are a few of shops I can recommend that do this. To convert the running gear the labor would be around 2-5k. Then you would need a good body shop and upholstery shop that does custom work, so another 3-5k. And then there is the actual running gear parts, ka-ching another 5-7 k. So ya about 18k would do it just nicely?
Below would be a cheaper project and there have already been several conversion, so lot of information available.
This is in our own forum:
Custom PT Cruiser 4x4

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Jan 2013 at 01:13 pm. Reason: changed title for clearity
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

cheapest way to go 4wd would be to drop the body on a truck frame

then, to make it unstoppable in the snow, buy these:

Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
cheapest way to go 4wd would be to drop the body on a truck frame
I beat you to the post!

slam.....by 4 minutes!
rob342 likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys I was talking about still looking like a pt. Not a monster truck.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This would be a cheaper project and there have already been several conversion, so lot of information available.
^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Guys I was talking about still looking like a pt. Not a monster truck.
gotta read what I post?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To read your post with the pics provided would lead anyone down the path I took. To do otherwise would require me or others to know what your thinking. only with the last post as a clue was I able to separate the two thoughts.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com