PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to find deep and/or finned transmission pan?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Where to find deep and/or finned transmission pan?

I have a 2004 PT cruiser with the standard 4 cyl and a 2000 Grand Voyager minivan V6 with a 3.0. The issue I'm having is actually with the van, these are notorious for transmissions that overheat. It turned out that the transmission pan for my PT and the Van are the same so I used the Dorman, drain plug equiped pan that I bought for the PT and put it on the van so I can easily change the fluid more often and make the trans last longer. I cannot verify if the transmissions are interchangeable but I can verify that the pan is. The van has a factory auxilary transmission cooler but I'd like to add a deep pan as well, hopefully a finned one. These vans han hold a lot of cargo and people but the transmissions don't hold up to the task without some serious cooling.
Does anyone know of a deep and/or finned transmission pan that's available for the PT cruiser? I'm pretty sure they don't make one specifically for the van.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where to find deep and/or finned transmission pan?

There are no deep pans available for the Auto transmission fitted to the PT or any other model Chrysler model vehicle using the same transmission. There are aftermarket stamped steel pans for around $50 that come with a drain plug. You can also get a drain plug kit that will work in most any fluid pan configuration. Just type "b&m oil drain plug kit" on your search engine to find many of them.

Here is one solution?

Nitro's PT Cruiser

Go to the last pages that were done yesterday and today.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you but I am already running the Dorman standard depth steel pan with the drain plug. While that makes fluid changes easier I am now looking for a deep aluminum pan with cooling fins. But as you said there doesn't seem to be any available.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pretty sure the van's transmission is 41te - it was the PT auto trans for all PTs until '03, and for all turbo auto PTs. The PT you have has a 40TE - same tranny, but with 2 versus 4 clutch packs. I'd look at a way to plumb in an additional trans oil cooler.
OurPTGT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Pretty sure the van's transmission is 41te - it was the PT auto trans for all PTs until '03, and for all turbo auto PTs. The PT you have has a 40TE - same tranny, but with 2 versus 4 clutch packs. I'd look at a way to plumb in an additional trans oil cooler.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you refer to the thread I recommended you would also see that one of the mods was to install an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. This was regulated by primarily a temperature switch to come on at 190*. This increases the amount of fluid the effectively passes through the transmission cooler.

Top right hand side of engine behind air box in front of ECU.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You could make you a steel one as nitro was trying to say. But I would opt for a used pan from a junk yard or trany shop to cut for the project. Save you some bucks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

as they said add an auxiliary fluid cooler to suppliment the stock one
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A better thought if considering the cooler end is to remove the OEM cooler completely and replace with a Transmission cooler design like Hi-Tech oil coolers instead of the conventional style tube and fin coolers.
The pumps in the stock transmission do not like the extra resistance of fluid pressure by to large a cooler. You could actually lose need fluid pressure if not carefully doing all the considerations.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought about adding a bigger auxilary cooler but there is little room in front of the AC condensor. I also thought about adding a remote cooler with a fan but I don't want to overwhelm the pump for the cooling lines.
There's also the option of adding an electric pump like nitro said but the only one I saw was for RV towing use and the price was around $800
With the turbo PT's I was hoping the aftermarket would have made what I'm looking for to fit that car. I also looked under SRT-4 Neon but it appears they were all manual transmission?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyess333 View Post
I also looked under SRT-4 Neon but it appears they were all manual transmission?
Yes, SRT-4 was manual only