Advertisements
PT Manual -- gasoline and performance

Like Tree11Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Post PT Manual -- gasoline and performance

[edit: I was curious if I was using the correct fuel for my car, and learned a thing or two by reading the manual. This should be correct for at least 2001-2003 models and possibly up to 2006, but see posted comments on why the manual may not be accurate if you own an older PT.]

FUEL REQUIREMENTS

2.4L Standard Engine and 2.4L Standard Turbo Engine
Your vehicle is designed to meet all emission regulations and provide excellent fuel economy when using high quality regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances, may result in poorer performance.

2.4L High Output Turbo Engine
Your engine is designed to meet all emission regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane rating of 91. High quality unleaded gasoline having a minumum octane rating of 87 may safely be used for your vehicle. Use of these lower octane gasolines, however, may result in reduced acceleration performance.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required. Engine damage resulting from operating with a heavy spark knock may not be covered by the new vehicle warranty.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline.

Reformulated Gasoline

Many areas of the country require the use of cleaner burning gasoline referred to as “Reformulated Gasoline”. These contain oxygenates, and are specifically blended to reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality. Properly blended reformulated gasolines will provide excellent performance and durability of engine and fuel system components.

Gasoline/Oxygenate Blends

Some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasoline with oxygenates such as 10% ethanol, MTBE, and ETBE. Fuels blended with these oxygenates may be used in your vehicle.

DO NOT use gasolines containing Methanol. Use of these blends may result in starting and driveability problems and may damage critical fuel system components. Problems that result from using methanol/gasoline blends are not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may not be covered by the vehicle warranty. While MTBE is an oxygenate made from Methanol, it does not have the negative effects of Methanol.

MMT In Gasoline

MMT is a manganese containing metallic additive that is blended into some gasoline to increase the octane number. Gasolines blended with MMT have shown to reduce spark plug life and reduce emission system performance in some vehicles. MMT is prohibited in Federal and California reformulated gasolines. MMT content in gasoline may not be labeled at the pump.

It is important to look for gasolines without MMT in Canada, because MMT can be used at levels higher than those allowed in the United States.

Sulfur In Gasoline

Your vehicle may have been designed to meet California low emission standards with cleaner burning California reformulated gasoline with low sulfur. Your vehicle will operate satisfactorily on fuels meeting Federal specification, but emission control system performance may be adversely affected.

Gasoline sold outside of California is permitted to have higher sulfur levels which may affect the performance of the vehicle’s catalytic converter. This may cause the Malfunction Indicator light to illuminate. The manufacturer recommends that you try a different brand of unleaded gasoline having lower sulfur to determine if the problem is fuel related prior to returning your vehicle to an authorized dealer for service.

If the Malfunction Indicator light is flashing, immediate service is required.

__________________________________________________ _

Fuel System Cautions

- An out-of-tune engine, or certain fuel or ignition malfunctions, can cause the catalytic converter to overheat. If you notice a pungent burning odor or some light smoke, your engine may be out of tune or malfunctioning and may require immediate service.

- The use of fuel additives which are now being sold as octane enhancers is not recommended. Most of these products contain high concentrations of methanol.

Carbon Monoxide Warnings

Carbon monoxide (CO) in exhaust gases is deadly.
- Do not inhale exhaust gases. They contain carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas which can kill.

Never run the engine in a closed area, such as a garage, and never sit in a parked vehicle with the engine running for an extended period.

If the vehicle is stopped in an open area with the engine running for more than a short period, adjust the vents to force fresh, outside air into the vehicle.

- Keep the liftgate closed when driving your vehicle to prevent carbon monoxide and other poisonous exhaust gases from entering the vehicle.

Adding Fuel

The fuel tank filler tube has a restricting door about 2 inches (50 mm) inside the opening. If using a portable container, it should have a flexible nozzle long enough to force open the restricting door.

Fuel Filler Cap (Gas Cap)

-A poorly fitting gas cap may cause the Malfunction Indicator Light to turn on.
- Never add fuel when the engine is running. This is in violation of most state and federal fire regulations and will cause the malfunction indicator light to turn on.
-Tighten the gas cap about 1/4 turn until you hear one click. If the gas cap is not tightened properly, the Malfunction Indicator Light will come on.

- Remove the fuel tank filler tube cap (gas cap) slowly to prevent fuel spray from the filler neck which may cause injury. The volatility of some gasolines may cause a build up of pressure in the fuel tank that may increase while you drive. This pressure can result in a spray of gasoline and/or vapors when you remove the cap from a hot vehicle.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 11 Jan 2013 at 04:19 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Manual -- gasoline and performance

May I suggest that you post your information source? This way it does not look so much like you wrote this or had input in its information.

I would guess that it is over 5 years or older?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's in the header - PT Manual. (Owner's Manual)

Instead of typing it from my 2001 I used the PDF download from the Tech forum sticky. Says there it is from a 2003 and probably good up to 2006.

I edited out some sections and phrases for space.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Was there a reason you posted this?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
It's in the header - PT Manual. (Owner's Manual)

Instead of typing it from my 2001 I used the PDF download from the Tech forum sticky. Says there it is from a 2003 and probably good up to 2006.

I edited out some sections and phrases for space.

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Jan 2013 at 02:46 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I tried to give you fair warning.....

This may be one of those long winded controversial threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
May I suggest that you post your information source? This way it does not look so much like you wrote this or had input in its information.

I would guess that it is over 5 years or older?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Was there a reason you posted this?
Do I need a reason?

Different gasolines can cause engine problems. It's full of good info on why a PT might be giving performance problems or some gas that can cause engine trouble.

Some people grow up and don't have anyone to tell them about cars except how to drive one. Lot of visitors to this site are in that boat, I'd bet. I'm pretty sure there's someone out there of driving age who doesn't even know gas is flammable. So I figure if it's repetitive to you, no need to read through it. But I learned some stuff by reading it that I didn't know, so I posted.
madmatt likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 05:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure why it'd be controversial, since I plucked it off the forum here. ? It was already here, I just edited a small part of it without changing the info. Really, i'm curious. THis forum seems to have rules that aren't posted anywhere.
ShinerJohn likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 06:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

gasoline? my car runs on hopes and dreams.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 06:43 pm
Banned

Cool Re: PT Manual -- gasoline and performance

As long as you have pictures in your album, you should come through this okay. Just don't question the makers of the rules, it only angers them. There are two makers of the rules. The second one hasn't posted yet, but they mirror each other.

QUOTE=mnahmnah;462116]I'm not sure why it'd be controversial, since I plucked it off the forum here. ? It was already here, I just edited a small part of it without changing the info. Really, i'm curious. THis forum seems to have rules that aren't posted anywhere.[/QUOTE]
mityqwik likes this.
Closed Thread