Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PO304 on a 2008 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PO304 on a 2008 pt cruiser

Hey guys we have a 2008 pt cruiser non turbo that is throwing a Po304... The CEL is on continuously until you are at idle speed. At that time it begins to flash. I have read through all the forum and know you are not to drive the vehicle with a flashing CEL. In the last few days we have done spark plugs, wires, oil change and air filter change. Code was cleared and vehicle driven 15 miles. Still Flashing CEL at idle speed and throwing a po304. Today we tested coil and injector electrical connectors. Both test came back fine. What next?
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PO304 on a 2008 pt cruiser

Two things. Check all the lines for any kind of small vacuum leak and then a compression check to rule out anything internal.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Make sure there isn't a leak on the number four side between the intake manifolds. This seems to be an issue sometimes. You can spray some carb cleaner around the split and see if the idle changes.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All the lines are all fine. They have been checked. I should have added that the car idles rough at stops and sometimes feels like it wants to die.
Question about the injectors. We tested the electrical connectors and they were fine it is possible that the number 4 injector could be clogged but still showing its working fine with the electrical test? I also read in past forums about possible bad intake gaskets. Whats your thoughts on that?
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you talking about the 4 square red rubber gaskets between the upper and lower manifolds, yes, if not matched up perfect when the two halves were put together, that could cause a leak. The spray that Ray just mentioned should help identify if there's a leak there.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes I was talking about those gaskets and isn't there a set on the lower half as well? Out of curiosity how often should the 4 square red rubber gaskets between the upper and lower manifolds be changed? Should they be changed each time you change spark plugs?
Old 11 Jan 2013, 11:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That question was raised before and most agreed that if you inspect the gaskets and they look good (no rips or squashed parts) then they could be used a few times. Myself, have changed the plugs twice and changed manifolds (to chrome) and I'm still using the original gaskets.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Since you've done plugs and wires, what Ray Dockery suggests is your next step.
The injector could be clogged, but more people have reported intake leaks than injector clogging, and far fewer than that valve problems.
You can use carb cleaner or starting fluid - spray along the seams of the intake manifold. If an intake gasket is bad, it'll suck in the vapors and engine idle will smooth out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jan 2013, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will try that today... I need to take a break from the car for a bit.. while my husband is at work today I swapped the 4 injector for the 3 injector and then cleared the code drove it and the CEL is only flashing at idle speed now. Not staying on. But it did still throw the Po304.... Thank you for all the tips guys. My husband and I are not really car mechanically inclined so your tips help out a lot.. Most of what I do know I learned from my dad as a kid. I just cant wait to have my cruiser back.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK today we replaced the upper and lower intake rubber gaskets. The lower ones were flat on one side and most of the bumps were wore off of them. Put the car back together cleared the code drove it and the CEL is flashing still at idle speed only. As soon as you give it gas it goes away. Ran the code reader and its still the po304.... Any suggestions?