PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
please help!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question please help!

Hello everybody ive been working on my neighbors 2002 pt cruiser. I replaced the water pump, put it all back together & now it cranks but wont start. Ive never worked on a pt cruiser so i dont know where to look for the issue. Any suggestions?
Before i started working on the car someone else had already taken stuff apart & they wont tell me if they disconnected something.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm
Banned

Question Re: please help!

Why won't they tell you if they disconnected something?
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: please help!

Well, hes kinda mad that i took over the job. He "diagnosed" the issue without really knowing if that was the problem. It had an over heating problem
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:07 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: please help!

How did he diagnose it? What was ruled out or replaced? Any codes coming up?
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have no idea how he diagnosed it. I havent checked for codes yet but im going to in a few minutes. I guess the car started over heating & the owners son said "oh its the water pump" & started taking stuff apart. Then the owner came to me & asked me to fix it because he saw me working on my car.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

The only thing i replaced was the water pump.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To get to the water pump, you must have taken the timing belt off. Did everything line up correctly when you put it back together? It's one of the trickiest parts of the job and lots of mechanics miss getting it all lined up when putting it all back together. If it's way off time, the engine won't start.

Just to let you know, of all the things that could make the car overheat (radiator fan not working, air in the system, clogged radiator, bad thermostat) the water pump is the last of the things that usually go wrong.

What's the mileage of the PT? Anywhere around 100K and the timing belt itself plus the belt tensioner should have been replaced along with the water pump..

Anyway, as Busa_Powered pointed out, see if there's any fault codes to help diagnose why it won't start. Here's how to do it yourself.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most likely no fault codes because the battery was unhooked. Also check that everything electrical is plug up. As pointed out above, timing is the most likely.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Note to OP lol if someone else has already half taken apart a car on a water pump job, and didnt know their head from their butt, odds are they didnt lock the cams when doing so.

AVOID THESE JOBS :-p

Pick up a haynes manual for $24.

Learn how to RE-time the motor, then re-assemble to the manuals specs.

Odds are you are dealing with a car that is so out of timing that it doesnt want to start. and never will without starting at TDC.

I bought a mazda for $300 on craigslist that when i recieved it, it was towed from the back with the front wheels on the ground, when i opened the hood after delivery, i noticed the timing belt had been removed and the engine was WAY out of whack, took me 4-5 days to correct it :/
Carl48 and jenna like this.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

okay, thanks guys i'm gonna go check for codes in a little bit. i was able to get to the water pump without removing the camshaft sprockets, if that makes any difference. i really didn't wanna take this job but i wanted to help my neighbor out....