Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
battery light on constantly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2013, 03:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default battery light on constantly

Hi Guys, I have just bought a 2002 2.2 diesel, the car has a problem in that the battery light is on constantly, the previous owner supplied me with a new alternator but the had had the one on the car checked and was informed that it was charging so fitting a new one would be a pointless exercise, the car starts well (even after being stood for a week in cold weather) so I think the battery is ok (the previous owner had run the car with this problem for a lengthy period of time) the only issue I have found is tht the car runs a little lumpy at a standstill and the interior/dash light pulse slightly as do the headlights. I'm going to check all the wiring and for codes today so will update with what i find

There was a thread on this forum that had post that described these symptoms but thats where the thread ended, I have messaged the guy that posted to no avail, If anyone can suggest anything or has seen this please advise as I love the car!
Old 13 Jan 2013, 04:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: battery light on constantly

the fault code P620 has come up so I will check the wiring.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

OK, you probably already know....

P0620 Generator Control Circuit Malfunction

I found some of these answers on an Internet search:

I believe the P0620 is the plug-in connector on the alternator. I had mine disconnected last week and got that message, plugged it back in and it went away.

Part 1 -Ford P0620 Test -Alternator Diagnostic Test

I have gone through the tests for this problem several times and so far it has come back to the voltage regulator. Note from me, the voltage regulator is built-in to the alternator.

OBDII Code P0620 - Generator Control Circuit Malfunction | HelpForCars.net
Old 13 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey thanks for that, I am going to have the new alternator put on tomorrow, my thinking is the current alternator is charging but not correctly, but still enough to charge the battery, if the voltage is not correctly regulated this could explain the flickering lights etc as everything is fine with the engine not running, I have been through all of the wiring with a fine tooth comb and it all checks out.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck. Hope its that.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 04:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickred View Post
hey thanks for that, I am going to have the new alternator put on tomorrow, my thinking is the current alternator is charging but not correctly, but still enough to charge the battery, if the voltage is not correctly regulated this could explain the flickering lights etc as everything is fine with the engine not running, I have been through all of the wiring with a fine tooth comb and it all checks out.
I would have the battery tested as well.

Mine has the same problem, except no battery light.

I took out my battery and hooked it up to a charger and it jumped to dumping 10 amps into it. Car was fine for a day, then the flickering lights came back. So it could also be just a battery thats getting a bit weak, if the cells in the battery cant hold a charge, the alternator will charge it all day but it still will never be at peak, which can cause dimming headlights etc. :-) If its really weak it will overwork the alternator and kill it. In honda's *thank god yours isnt a honda* it sometime fries the CPU :/

Tags
battery light, lights flickering