Fuel Injector Cleaner Question

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Injector Cleaner Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBroser View Post
So play it safe and DON'T wait until the light goes on? I thought that would help me at least stretch my dollar safely since funds are tight for me. It would be counterproductive if I mess with the fuel pump though!
How do you figure that you are saving money by running the tank nearly dry before filling up???
Old 15 Jan 2013, 05:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I am surprised reading that so many use the practice of filling under half a tank. I know gas prices are high but a really better way is to fill your tank and get into the habit of filling it back up at half a tank. This way you really get benefits and reduce overall problems in life using the other method?
c'mon man, it's weight reduction. a full tank adds 90lbs!

-a word of caution/something to think about - if you actually have a really dirty fuel system, and you add a really strong fuel system cleaner to the gas.. say it does make all the varnish/crud in the tank/fuel lines/rail come loose. where do you think all the crap that gets freed goes? common sense says it goes right to the little screens in the tops of the injectors. does the cleaner dissolve it and make it harmlessly pass through? maybe. maybe not. that is very very fine mesh on those little screens. look, magnified 10+ times and you still can't see the holes in the mesh.

Last edited by rob342; 15 Jan 2013 at 05:47 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not bad^^^^ !!

**West Coast info.....you Easterners live in a different world!!
**Generally when we service and flow injectors the Pintle is the victim, seldom the screen. But still something to think about. The screen in the Pump/filter unit in most cases will filter large and very small particles before passing the fuel up the lines to the fuel injectors. The volume rate and pressure that fluid passes through the injectors usually filters only large particles missed by a very dirty fuel filter/screen. In the case of the fuel injectors water in large volumes or left setting is one of the biggest killers of fuel injectors because they rely totally on the fuel for lubrication.

Yup! A full tank is about 90lbs hahahaha!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jan 2013 at 06:22 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is all relatively new to me so bare with me. :P
So, I filled my tank yesterday, I didn't let it go to the fuel light, I let it go to the line before the fuel light. I guess if there's 6 ticks I let it go to the 5th one. I put the info into Fuelly, and the trip was better this time based on several changes of driving habits. I averaged 19mpg, but this is just my first noted fuel up. It was 10gals of gas I put in. Is 5gals leftover safe enough before a fuelup?

Tags
fuel cleaner, injector cleaner, system cleaner