PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
is 2003 engine a unique year regarding interchange ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default is 2003 engine a unique year regarding interchange ?

I realize this is a perfect opportunity to tell me RTFM or at least search even longer than I have so I will take my lumps

but as I am slowly & slyly looking around for a decent engine in case I can not solve this annoying engine clatter in my Brand New To Me PT (2003 base NA with only 80k sigh)

I notice that ebay engines, presumably from interchange book reading recycler yards seem to lump engines 2001-02 and then 2005-09 together.

2003 and maybe 2004 seem to list as unique.

Is there something to be worried about shopping for any other year engine for a 2003 ?

An idle moment at the Dealer looking into long blocks said a 2001 to 2005 range could be had. For 3500 [insert forehead slap here]

thanks in advance

PS , starting this thread produced a "similar thread" search result, THATS GREAT , sorry if the bother is too much

Last edited by gtgt_bangbang; 14 Jan 2013 at 12:26 am.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: is 2003 engine a unique year regarding interchange ?

01 has the crank sensor in a different place. Think the rest will work as long as you use your electricals. Later models have a crank shaft issue. So might want to stay with first gen.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jan 2013, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

'01 and '02 had EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), '03 up didn't. The big change was in '06 when all electrics went to canbus.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jan 2013, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks all for rendering that in the short version. Sincerely.

Hope I make piece with that clatter before I go as far a putting a higher mile example in, would be hard to find a sure thing back for 03.

SOunds like too much bass to be top end but I can sort of control it with the throttle as in engine load. Have not been able to stethoscope it exactly yet , been too cold around here to bother as well as its is running overall. I guess I dont really want to know until Spring !
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In rare cases there have been cracked fly wheels. Where it bolts to the crank. Don't know what that sounds like. Also check if the tensioner is bad. Drive belts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jan 2013, 03:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

'03 & up are close enough, AFAIK.

Suggest reading 'rebuilding the 2.4' for exact answer, is in one of the links in my sig.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
'01 and '02 had EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), '03 up didn't. The big change was in '06 when all electrics went to canbus.
'01 and '02 also have a different "tone ring" inside the engine. WILL NOT INTERCHANGE!!!

'03 up are all the same - In addition, the '03 / '04 / '05 "4-Door" Stratus / Sebring cars use the same block as the PT, and can be bought at salvage yards for a lot less $$ than a PT engine. The yards will say they're different, but they're not. You will have to change over the oil pan, oil pump, and all of the accessory brackets. But the block is the same.

I've done that swap twice...

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 14 Jan 2013, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

But at 80k, it shouldn't be hurt unless it was abused. Those 2.4 will do 200k easily with basic maintenance.

I'd try to pinpoint the noise before replacing.

-Gary-

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 15 Jan 2013, 07:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Only 200,000 miles??? vastly underestimating

My 2.0 has 284,000 and about 100 runs on full 1/4 miles dragstrip, essentially same engine!!!!
Old 18 Jan 2013, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced my ok simple stethoscope with one of the newly fangled electronic ones ($30 harbor freight). Pretty nice tools, should coming in handy a couple times. 9v powered probe with a couple extensions, and headphones included but I have noise canceling cheapies that are even better with to cancel out a lot of ambient. Almost lets your hear too much going on inside the engine, but possible to separate distal noises from immediate area with enough probing

Unfortunately before the sun set and the mercury drop pushed me inside for the eve, I lifted the car to probe the under side of the motor and I fear the clatter is coming from the driver side rear of the block. No slapping chains there to account for it, I doubt the balance shafts themselves that far rearward in block, nor would they make this loud but usually "card in the spokes" tone clatter, almost with a little pfluffing ( air noise ).

The thing that drives me crazy about this noise is I can control it to great extent with the throttle (or by extension eng vacuum level); moderate cruise is loudest (holding throttle just ever so to maintain constant or slightly accelerating speed).

If I accelerate fairly hard or harder, the clatter basically disappears !

If I have very light throttle ( for instance running a higher gear in a near coast while I should actually use more rpm next lowest gear) clatter basically disappears !

RPM not a controlling factor, as if I run in medium open throttle in any speed / gear I get the same throttle control.

damn. why would throttle control a straight up mechanical noise !?!?!

I really wish it was a very late ignition, causing a muffled report from the exhaust manifold but I dont think the sound emanated from within the pipe, and I would have to imagine #4 cylinder firing late or exhaust valves closing late / insifficiently to explain.

I think these engine use a single coil signal ie - as no "distributor" effeted or all 4 cylinders fire each time a spark required to any particular cylinder, eh ?

Man I wish it were May so I could take some stuff off and look inside