PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wouldn't turn on, Now it won't turn off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2013, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Wouldn't turn on, Now it won't turn off!

I'm a new member here and hopefully someone can give me a little direction on where to go from here. First off I have a 2001 PT that has 117,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago it started having some serious issues that nothing seems to be fixing and it just keeps getting worse.

The first thing that ever started was that my fog lights wouldn't turn off, and I could wiggle my turn signal rod/stick/post and it would turn off. So I pulled the fuse to the fog lights and quite frankly forgot about it.

Next a couple months ago my car started turning off at an idle, especially at stop lights of course. And wouldn't turn over for at least a minute. The temp. was fine but I still assumed that it must be overheating, so I replaced the thermostat and it seemed to fix the issue.

BUT THEN it started dying at an idle again and while I was driving it would seem to lose power sometimes completely or an occassional 'buck'. It finally threw some codes and said that crank shaft position sensor or timing belt. I had the crank shaft position sensor fixed. That seemed to trick the car for a couple weeks then it started happening again so I replaced the cam shaft position sensor--which I think really did fix that issue because it hasn't died since. But still has the occassional 'buck'.

BUT NOW I pulled up to work and turned the car off took the key out and realized it wasn't off! The car was still on, and I was confused as can be. So I drove it to a local shop to run diagnostics (meanwhile thinking it was the ignition switch). After going back to the shop he told me it wasn't the ignition switch and that there must be a short in one of the wires that's still sending power somewhere. We narrowed it down to fuse #11 which goes to my fuel pump relay and my computer. So basically when I park my car I have to pull #11 to turn my car off and #10 to turn off my dash lights.

SO I replaced my fuel pump relay, praying that would fix it, but of course it didn't. And now my battery keeps draining when I leave it off for more than an hour. I'm not sure what to try now besides taking it to a dealership, I'm thinking it's probably the computer that's going bad but I want to know for sure.

I'm testing the battery after work today so I will update when I find the results of that. Sorry for the long needed explanation, I hope someone has some clue of what's going on! Thanks.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wouldn't turn on, Now it won't turn off!

ID say you are in need of a multi function switch they are know to go bad there is a sticky and a lot fo guys whop can help you changhe it
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a good answer to the fogs and possibly the battery drain. But I also think you have a ignition switch issue or the wires in the column. At the plug. These have been known to melt and cause funny issues with the car.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
But I also think you have a ignition switch issue or the wires in the column. At the plug. These have been known to melt and cause funny issues with the car.
Would I be able to see if it has melted? I removed the cover to my steering wheel consol and couldn't see much. I actually already bought a new ignition switch but haven't installed it yet. May as well throw it in to rule that out.

Also, the fog light situation happened almost a year ago and it hasn't had battery issues until now. I guess it could just be damage over time to the function switch...

Last edited by Becca; 14 Jan 2013 at 02:22 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca View Post
Would I be able to see if it has melted? I removed the cover to my steering wheel consol and couldn't see much. I actually already bought a new ignition switch but haven't installed it yet. May as well throw it in to rule that out.

Also, the fog light situation happened almost a year ago and it hasn't had battery issues until now. I guess it could just be damage over time to the function switch...
So look for charring on one of the pins. Most likely the plastic will be brown and distorted on that area.May need to unplug and look inside.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jan 2013, 06:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

And at 117,000 miles, if you haven't changed the timing belt/water pump, you'll soon have worse problems...

Have you changed plugs/wires? That's for stalling at idle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't replaced the spark plugs and wires, that is on my to do list when it warms up. I did however notice some corroding on my battery yesterday and went and had it tested which resulted in a bad battery.

I went home and replaced it and now it's turning off just fine. Maybe It's coincidence that it's just not acting up. Or would a bad battery really cause the car to not turn off??
Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would not think so. But low voltage is a big thing on these. Let us know how you get along.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
battery, electrical, fuse, ignition, sensor