PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
One Headlight Won't turn on!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2013, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default One Headlight Won't turn on!

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and the drivers side headlight will not turn on. I thought it just blew so I changed it and nothing. I thought I had a bad bulb so I went to the store and got another one and still no response. Now everything else works. Hi beams , turn signals, etc.. Anyone have any clue what is going on? Also for some reason today the wipers turn on and will not turn off but I doubt that's related. Thanks.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jan 2013 at 06:02 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: One Headlight Won't turn on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPTOwner View Post
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and the drivers side headlight will not turn on. I thought it just blew so I changed it and nothing. I thought I had a bad bulb so I went to the store and got another one and still no response. Now everything else works. Hi beams , turn signals, etc.. Anyone have any clue what is going on? Also for some reason today the wipers turn on and will not turn off but I doubt that's related. Thanks.
Go to the dealer and have the turn it back on. A new gen thing. 1st gen didn't have this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jan 2013 at 06:03 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any other options besides going straight to the dealer? Also I know the bulbs work because I switched the right and left bulbs. Both work on passengers side but nothing works on the drivers side. Hi beams and turn signals work fine.
767skyking likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jan 2013 at 06:04 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Busted_PT already said, the second generation PT (2006+) went to the CAN BUSS system for all the electrics. This system is very hard to work on and it seems even at the dealership, they tend to replace whole units controlling many parts rather then try and troubleshoot for a single fault. This is very evident when there's a fault with the IPM (Integrated Power Module) or single fuse box. Before 2006 there were two fuse boxes (interior and PDC in the engine compartment) and single faults could be diagnosed and the correct fuse or replay replaced. Now, the whole IPM is discarded for a new one. Specialized equipment by the dealer and some auto shops are needed to help track down faults and then they might just replace a whole module rather than track down a single fault.

P.S. Because this is a family forum, as you can see I've expletive deleted some of the wording in the posting.
podo2000 likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Jan 2013 at 06:19 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm just throwing this out there, as I learned it the hard way by having a mechanic point it out to me, but the headlights have seperate fuses. My drivers side blew but all the other lights, including fogs and high beams worked, just not the low beam drivers side light. Good luck.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 07:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strilla View Post
I'm just throwing this out there, as I learned it the hard way by having a mechanic point it out to me, but the headlights have seperate fuses. My drivers side blew but all the other lights, including fogs and high beams worked, just not the low beam drivers side light. Good luck.
Yours being an 03 it does. The 06's and up, as stated above, use a different electrical system. He stated only one headlight is out which is a telltale sign that the TIPM has shut down that circuit and needs to be reset.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had this same problem on an 06

Rather than replace the unit, I used a relay and slaved the "input" signal to the relay off the other working headlight...

So when you turn on the lights, the relay is energized and closes the circuit and the dead headlight is fed power from a fused link I put on the battery....

Works great, total cost was about $7
rob342 and jared1688 like this.
Old 24 May 2013, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to ZombiaCruiser

This is my first time on the forum, I only got my car earlier this week. It is my first car so I was really excited of course. But the passenger side headlight doesn't work and I got a new bulb but it wasnt that. Dad tried to search for the right fuse that went for the headlights but it looked really confusing to me. I bought it used, its an 06 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. I re-read this thread a couple times. I really can't afford going to a mechanic, and the dealership? They didn't look like they had anything special to deal with it but if I took it back and they said no or couldnt fix it what then?
Old 24 May 2013, 11:11 am
Senior Cruiser

You can try unhooking the battery for about ten minutes. While it is unhooked hit the brake pedal a few times to rid of any residual power. Hook the battery back up and see if it comes on. This resets the TIPM. If that doesn't fix it then it has to go to the dealer. They will either be able to reflash or reset the TIPM or they will tell you it needs to be replaced which is big bucks. The 2006 and some 2007's suffer with this. Seems like mid 2007 they finally go it figured out.
Old 24 May 2013, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it you didn't check the car over before buying it, but that's another story.

This thread started off exactly the same as your story (one headlight) and there are plenty of good answers if you read it over. If definitely sounds like the TIPM needs to be reset and that can only be done by a mechanic or the dealer with the right equipment. If you can't afford to go to the dealer (or mechanic), than it looks like one headlight is the way you'll be for awhile.