PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mount Filling - Again

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mount Filling - Again

Not to beat a dead horse, but ... . I've read several motor mounts posts and am interested in filling some replacements for myself. But I'm just a little confused over which product to use, or rather was used by some. The following is a summary (or crude quote) of the posts I have found. I may have missed some posts, or info in posts, so be nice all.

GA06PT said he used 3M Windshield Adhesive Urethane -- I don't believe he specified a formula #.

NitroPT used 3m product # 08609.
Rob342 said he used 3M windo-weld which is also 08609.

NitroPT gave a durometer reading for 3M # 08609 is rated 55-60 SDH-A. He also stated that both the stock lower and upper mounts are very soft @ -50 SDH-A. He also said that the recommended modification filler is silicone or 3m type windshield "black" which are rated @ -28 SDH-A. His tested 25 SDH-A.
--- Curious as to recommended by who? More to the point, what formulation is this that's softer?

Bleow are links to the products for anyone interested:

Alex

The first Google hit of a retailer showing 2+ different formulations for windshield adhensive:
Windshield Urethane and Sealers - Automotive Adhesives

And the 3M links:
3Mô Super Fast Urethane, Black, 08609
3M Super Fast Urethane Black 10 fluid ounce cartridge 08609

3Mô Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693
Online Product Catalog:*3M
Old 31 Jan 2013, 03:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mount Filling - Again

Hi Alex!

I can't say anything educated about the relative hardness of one or the other, but I used the 3M 08693 on my lower motor mount a little over a year ago and it worked nicely. I haven't really noticed any issues with increased vibration or such over the old mount, though it was broken when I bought the car, so anything was an improvement. I read in a few places that making the mount Too stiff can lead to breakage, but I've not heard of anyone having that issue using the 3M (and such) stuff.

You can buy bushings for the motor mounts, but the 3m stuff seems like a cheaper, and just as effective, repair to me.

My $.02

Edit: I am actually looking at fixing my upper motor mount with 08693 this weekend.
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."
Old 31 Jan 2013, 04:34 pm
Young Cruiser

I too have read about this repair, and planned on applying it to my daughters PT (her motor mounts are not broken, but I just wanted to prevent a problem). I was at the auto parts store on Friday, I found out that the 3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane # 08609 is about $25, and the 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive # 08693 is about half that. So, since both products were said to be successful, I purchased the cheaper one. Since I've not done the repair yet, I can't say if the 08693 product is good or bad, but it's a lot cheaper, so I thought I'd pass that along....
Old 31 Jan 2013, 04:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

actually, it is and always has been the opposite. the number was never even relevant. i had never even noticed the number on the tube(until NITRO made it confusing). i never needed one. it was always the trick to fill them with "3M Windo-Weld"

as seen on this page from 2001 Eliminate Wheel Hop with Filled Motor Mounts
and this page from 2001 Homemade Motor Mounts <-this second page is actually the exact page i read this on ...way back when.

if the other stuff works for you, the other stuff works too i guess. i've also used "Titan P2G".. anyways, since i wrote the tutorial on here just wanted to clarify that the stuff that has been used, the stuff i recommend using, is the stuff called "3M Windo-Weld"

not saying you or the cheaper stuff are wrong (:

-rob

Last edited by rob342; 31 Jan 2013 at 04:56 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by asallwey View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but ... . I've read several motor mounts posts and am interested in filling some replacements for myself. But I'm just a little confused over which product to use, or rather was used by some. The following is a summary (or crude quote) of the posts I have found. I may have missed some posts, or info in posts, so be nice all.

GA06PT said he used 3M Windshield Adhesive Urethane -- I don't believe he specified a formula #.

NitroPT used 3m product # 08609.
Rob342 said he used 3M windo-weld which is also 08609.

NitroPT gave a durometer reading for 3M # 08609 is rated 55-60 SDH-A. He also stated that both the stock lower and upper mounts are very soft @ -50 SDH-A. He also said that the recommended modification filler is silicone or 3m type windshield "black" which are rated @ -28 SDH-A. His tested 25 SDH-A.
--- Curious as to recommended by who? More to the point, what formulation is this that's softer?

Bleow are links to the products for anyone interested:

Alex

The first Google hit of a retailer showing 2+ different formulations for windshield adhensive:
Windshield Urethane and Sealers - Automotive Adhesives

And the 3M links:
3Mô Super Fast Urethane, Black, 08609
3M Super Fast Urethane Black 10 fluid ounce cartridge 08609

3Mô Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693
Online Product Catalog:*3M
PM Nitro and ask him your self.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Jan 2013, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The product recommended is 3m product # 08609 Windo-Weld I talked to 3m directly to obtain the specifications and talked about the use of this as an engine filler.
Other silicone and their respective SDH-A or durometer hardness varies and so will your end results in using them as an engine filler.
For the PTCruiser IMO using the information on the thread below is the best application for success using the 3m product # 08609 Windo-Weld.
how to fill your engine mount
The use of filling an OEM mount with silicone sealers or liquid polyurethane @ +90 SDH-A (very hard) would not cause it to break anymore then filling it with 3m product # 08609 Windo-Weld or most general use silicone sealers.
These type of PT/Chrysler mounts have had 95 SDH-A polyurethane bushing in engines producing 400-800whp without breaking.

3m product # 08609 Window-Weld

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 Jan 2013 at 06:13 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why not just go to modern performance and get the srt-4 street inserts for 25.00. Install them and be done with it. 3M window weld cost 20.00 something change, wait day or so to set up before install. Naw I need my car same day
Old 31 Jan 2013, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
Why not just go to modern performance and get the srt-4 street inserts for 25.00. Install them and be done with it. 3M window weld cost 20.00 something change, wait day or so to set up before install. Naw I need my car same day
Don we tried for years to get Energy Suspension to offer a full polyurethane bushing for that area. The problem with the inserts bushing of this type is they need to be secured. And even then they slip around under hard shifting.
But you are correct about the cost savings and ease of installation.

Next time you stop buy I will show you my NS full polyurethane engine mounts. I will machine one up special in the shape of a Dwag bone for the "buddy"!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer don View Post
Why not just go to modern performance and get the srt-4 street inserts for 25.00. Install them and be done with it. 3M window weld cost 20.00 something change,
thats a good point. window weld only used to cost $10-11
Old 31 Jan 2013, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
thats a good point. window weld only used to cost $10-11
The 3m is around 16+ dollars
The mount inserts as per instruction must be installed on new or mounts that are in good condition.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN