PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Boiling in radiator overflow and leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2013, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Boiling in radiator overflow and leaking

My 2001 PT Cruiser overheated last friday while driving and then when I pushed in the clutch it made a loud banging noise and the oil light dinged and turned on. Checked and there was oil, just no water. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses last night and it drove fine. Drove it this morning and was fine but then it strated getting hot, was in the section below the red and I pulled over and could hear the radiator overflow boiling or bubbling. Water was leaking from the back of the engine compartment area. Once cooled, added water and drove it to work. Got hot again, never getting in the red, jsut the section below the red, but I did have my heater on this time. Parked and could hear the overflow making boiling/bubbling noise again, could see it moving a bit. This time, no water underneath. Waited a couple of hours and then checked and added the needed water, maybe a half gallon. Haven't checked on it again...yet. Any ideas???
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Boiling in radiator overflow and leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTina View Post
My 2001 PT Cruiser overheated last friday while driving and then when I pushed in the clutch it made a loud banging noise and the oil light dinged and turned on. Checked and there was oil, just no water. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses last night and it drove fine. Drove it this morning and was fine but then it strated getting hot, was in the section below the red and I pulled over and could hear the radiator overflow boiling or bubbling. Water was leaking from the back of the engine compartment area. Once cooled, added water and drove it to work. Got hot again, never getting in the red, jsut the section below the red, but I did have my heater on this time. Parked and could hear the overflow making boiling/bubbling noise again, could see it moving a bit. This time, no water underneath. Waited a couple of hours and then checked and added the needed water, maybe a half gallon. Haven't checked on it again...yet. Any ideas???

yeahhhh......overheating then loud banging......sounds like you blew a head gasket, could have possibly cracked the head too, maybe damaged some pistons as well.

I suggest a compression check asap.

other than that, check all the hoses for cracks/ leaks.

Did you free the air from the system by only using the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing? or did you fully "burp" the system by running it with the radiator cap off?
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
yeahhhh......overheating then loud banging......sounds like you blew a head gasket, could have possibly cracked the head too, maybe damaged some pistons as well.

I suggest a compression check asap.

other than that, check all the hoses for cracks/ leaks.

Did you free the air from the system by only using the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing? or did you fully "burp" the system by running it with the radiator cap off?
headgasket maybe but pistons and the other stuff are usally ok but if it is leaking out the back of the head its a big time leak
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
headgasket maybe but pistons and the other stuff are usally ok but if it is leaking out the back of the head its a big time leak
i was just thinking if it got hot enough, could have warped something and thrown a piston a bit too high. Had it happen on my old beretta, except it through one right through the oil pan :/
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that sucks i had one go through the side of the block car still ran well till it died
Old 16 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
that sucks i had one go through the side of the block car still ran well till it died
yeah mine stopped dead. Middle of december, in a blizzard, at 1:35 am. 20 miles outside town on a non light dessolate road with a 65 mph speed limit that is mainly used by long haul truckers :/ that was a bad night lol

Tags
leaking, loosing cooliant, overheating, water