PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Pressure sensor adventure

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2013, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pressure sensor adventure

Before i start just wanted to let you folks know you are all a godsend. The first time i lifted the hood on my 2005 PT Cruiser touring edition it was like trying to read some alien writing.

It's been very cold here in WA the past few nights and the other day i went to start my car and it would only click. There were no warning lights leading up to this. It was a rapid succession of clicks not a single click.

We tried to jump start the car... didn't work... Battery must be beyond dead.
came here to figure out where the battery actually is in my car...under the air filter who'd a thunk it?!

Battery is the stock battery that Chrysler put in it back in 2005... Kudos to Chrysler darn thing lasted 8 years.

New Battery installed went to start car.... now the engine turns over but still no joy.

oh, but what's this? i have a check engine light.... Back to this forum and i learn how to cycle the key to get the P code.

My P code was P0522 there is a problem with the oil sensor switch / low oil pressure/ low oil

oil levels are normal according to the dipstick, so next cheapest fix is a new oil sensor switch.

I wanted to know if the sensor switch could cause the engine to not start. After multiple Google searches and searches on this forum i kept getting conflicting info.
Some said the switch has nothing to do with the engine starting and others said the computer will not allow the engine to start if it gets anything other than a normal message from the oil sensor switch.

So I called Chrysler.... They were very helpful... This is apparently a "safety" feature on the PT Cruiser. If the oil pressure sensor does not read normal the computer will NOT allow the engine to engage. There is no way to bypass this.

So now on to my question :

Can someone show me a picture of where the switch is in my car as i would see it once i remove the air box and battery. I've seen the schematic and where it would be located but i want to make sure if i go pulling cords and cables that i'm replacing the right thing.

I appreciate your help and sorry for the book
Old 16 Jan 2013, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure sensor adventure

Here's where the oil Pressure switch is:

I'm one of the people who have seen up close and personal that the oil pressure sending switch will stop the car from starting. Tried to help two different PT's that were stuck in the middle of the road, both with the P0522 code and wouldn't start. I too have seen posts that said that has nothing to do with starting but without starting an argument I just let it go and know better.

Now to you. There are posts on here telling you how to change the switch. The best way is from over top of the engine. The whole air filter and maybe something else has to be moved. One of the hardest parts is getting the wiring harness off. Can't help but it's tricky. Then you need a deep well 17mm socket to unscrew the switch and replace it. Good luck.
sanatanadharma and edk like this.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just found out that a clogged oil filter could also cause the same problem i'm having. Easy fix there... change the oil except we live in navy housing and i'm not permitted to change the oil on housing property and since the engine won't start i can't drive it somewhere else to change the oil myself or have it changed.

so if i'm going to shell out $80 for a tow i'm going to have it towed to a mechanic shop in case the oil change and new sensor don't clear the error. I'm praying it's not the oil pump.

My question is how likely is it that it's a faulty oil pressure sensor that is causing the problem and not a clogged oil filter?

The oil light has never lit up before the battery died and it turns off when i try to start the car ( engine turns over but no joy)

Could our trying to jump start the car, prior to replacing the battery, have damaged it somehow?

I'd rather not pay to have the car towed if i don't have to but i don't want to waste money on a part i don't need.....

is there a way for me to say remove the oil pressure switch and have auto zone some how check it to see if it's good, like they can with a battery?

i hope i'm making sense... I basically don't want to spend almost $200 for an oil change (tow plus oil change) if i don't have to.

oh I have 58,000 miles on my car if that helps

Last edited by mommacrstl; 16 Jan 2013 at 10:18 pm. Reason: forgot to add milage
Old 16 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

did you try to unhook the battery again. I'm not sure how long but this will reset any codes. If there is a problem the codes will just show up again. But if it's some kind of false code this might help. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 16 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok going to go unhook the neg to the battery quick Google search says 20 mins so now we wait with fingers crossed.... i'm going batty with no car to drive.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not an expert but I have a real good feeling this will work. Fingers crossed.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 16 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacrstl View Post
I just found out that a clogged oil filter could also cause the same problem i'm having. Easy fix there... change the oil except we live in navy housing and i'm not permitted to change the oil on housing property and since the engine won't start i can't drive it somewhere else to change the oil myself or have it changed.

so if i'm going to shell out $80 for a tow i'm going to have it towed to a mechanic shop in case the oil change and new sensor don't clear the error. I'm praying it's not the oil pump.

My question is how likely is it that it's a faulty oil pressure sensor that is causing the problem and not a clogged oil filter?

The oil light has never lit up before the battery died and it turns off when i try to start the car ( engine turns over but no joy)

Could our trying to jump start the car, prior to replacing the battery, have damaged it somehow?

I'd rather not pay to have the car towed if i don't have to but i don't want to waste money on a part i don't need.....

is there a way for me to say remove the oil pressure switch and have auto zone some how check it to see if it's good, like they can with a battery?

i hope i'm making sense... I basically don't want to spend almost $200 for an oil change (tow plus oil change) if i don't have to.

oh I have 58,000 miles on my car if that helps
I would not worry about the filter if you have been changing your oil on a regular mileage interval. The sensor on the other hand is notorious for giving a false read or leaking or both. This is a cheap item any brand will do. Like Crewzin can't say about the safety feature. That's your best shot.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jan 2013, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well hooked the batt back up and i'm still getting the same p code. So i'm gonna try replacing the sensor first. worst comes to worse i'll only be out the $16 for the part and some time. I really hope it's just the sensor.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacrstl View Post
well hooked the batt back up and i'm still getting the same p code. So i'm gonna try replacing the sensor first. worst comes to worse i'll only be out the $16 for the part and some time. I really hope it's just the sensor.
So do we!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2013, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok i've got the new sensor but i'm having trouble finding where the original one is. i removed the batterie and the air box and reach through the gap they leave and i think i found it but i'm not sure. is it just wires connected to the sensor or a tube? and are there any other "things" near it. I can't see it but i can get my fingers on something that i think is it. what does it feel like? its also covered in oily grime yeck