Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broke timeing belt updated pix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broke timeing belt updated pix

For any of you that want to see I think I found the problem of what sheered teeth off the timeing belt,(Or the aged belt let the engine run a tooth off for a while.)
It appears that the exhast valves became so gummed up that the engine ran too lean long enough to warp the head enough to slow the intake cam due to binding,It's tight even without the valves in.That would also explain the coolant boil.After seeing the oil clearance I wont run anything thicker than 0W30. (IMO)
Was going to build the head myself untill I found I need Cams,Lifters,seats and Exhaust valves.Also will need decking and cam rebores. I can buy a reman head complete for $495.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture of PTwork 032.jpg (94.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2230.jpg (96.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Picture of PTwork 038.jpg (94.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 16 Jan 2013, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Broke timeing belt updated pix

Hear's a few more.
By the way the PT ran flawless for 92,000 except for 1 quart of oil between changes.
1st syptom AC quit working well
2nd syptom Coolant smell but no puddle,found residue around water pump return pipe
3rd and last PT lost 50% power but got me home 4mi away
NO CK Engine Lights,Temp Gauge below middle.Coolant never got to low but had to add several times to resivior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture of PTwork 031.jpg (95.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Picture of PTwork 028.jpg (94.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2228.jpg (97.4 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by ronpolley; 16 Jan 2013 at 07:19 pm.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 07:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wow, that is brutal!

When I got my PT it had a blown head gasket. The head was warped so badly half the valves and most the guides needed to be replaced. I've done a lot of head gaskets over the years and I don't think I've ever seen so much collateral damage. These heads don't seem especially sturdy. Clearly fine for their job, but not good at handling much beyond.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thesameguy
I read that this 2000-2001 is the sturiest head version installed,and it looks very tough except I wish it had cam bearings.The rest I can fix myself.
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

ow! i've never seem a camshaft peened like that :-o
Old 17 Jan 2013, 06:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

pluminator
It.s a 1st for me also,that mest be the valve I heard popping shut while turning it by hand.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm betting you don't use synthetic oil?
I had head taken off a Dodge Spirit 2.5 L that I used Mobil 1 in - at 150,000 miles, and there was not a trace of brown deposits - all was clean & shiny - A valve guide had come loose.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2013, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used Mobil 1 for the 1st 55,000 mostly all highway miles for 2 years,switched to a blended oil since moving here as I change the oil by months not miles now. I only live 4mi from work and 30mi from the beach.Another reason I switched was oil consumption,that didn't help with that issue.Like I stated I will only use 0w30 whatever once I finnish though.I see why FMC has gone to 5w20 in some engines.I also have tore down several engines very clean inside that were Castrol.I'm also not blaming the oil manufactuer for this problem,as my cylinder bores look new and never had a noisy lifter.As for the brown coloration my oil fill inlet has been brown since the 1st year about 25kmi.I Am wondering if all this carbon/sludge builup is a mixture of oil and small amounts of coolant.As a note I haven't mentioned the oil used in my PT yet.....
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't get the "blend" idea. It admits synthetic is better, so why not use full synth?
I have never seen a % of how much synthetic is in the "blend" - 2 drops?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm not seeing any damage ...

Cams always have fatigue marks, but I've NEVER seen a lobe or rocker roller fail.
I have seen severe corrosion pitting on 2.7's, but that's due to poor crankcase ventilation, even then the lobes didn't fail