no start new radio new fuel

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default no start new radio new fuel

Hello all.

A few days ago I bought a 2001 PT 5 speed Limited with 105,000 miles. I drove it then for a quick trip, everything worked except the radio. Today I registered it and installed a re-manufactured radio from ebay. I started it and twice it ran for a few seconds then died. I then realized it was out of gas. So I ran to the gas station in a different car bought a few gallons then dumped it in. Once I tried to start it again, the starter and solenoid would not even click. After two or three attempts the check engine light and a small red dot light above the odometer turn on, also the odometer reads "no Bus". No voltage is reaching the starter. Is there a security lockdown measure? Any idea on howto reset, I tried disconnected the battery.

Thank you for your help.
-Erik
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: no start new radio new fuel

well, the first thing I do in a situation like this, is to go back over what I did and undo it. Pull the radio back out and look for wiring issues. One of the security computers lives just over the radio, in the top of the dash.

-Gary-

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Based on your description it sound like you disconnected something installing the radio. The instrument panel is only connected via a communication bus called CAN-bus. There are no wires going to sending units etc directly to inst panel. Something is disconnected or shorting the bus. I would try pulling the radio and getting everything back to how it was, see if it starts.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also there is a test mode for the ins panel. Turn key on - off four times hold in trip mile reset turn to on, it will run a test. The tach / speedo / fuel, all gauges will swing from min to max, odometer will roll from all zeros to all 9's. Probably wont work with no bus but good to know.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I guess I was just in a rush yesterday and wanted to make everything work. I pull the radio out and it started right up. I kept it running and hooked up the radio and everything still worked so I shut the engine off then restarted it. I'll come back if anything comes up again. Thanks again. Cars are much more frustrating with computer brains.

-Erik
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimcrack View Post
Based on your description it sound like you disconnected something installing the radio. The instrument panel is only connected via a communication bus called CAN-bus. There are no wires going to sending units etc directly to inst panel. Something is disconnected or shorting the bus. I would try pulling the radio and getting everything back to how it was, see if it starts.
Just to make sure we are all on the same page the 01-05 use a bus signal between major systems. The Canbus system didn't come out till 06 and is a total different animal.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Erik,

Glad things worked out well. Like to clear two things up that were said that doesn't effect anything you've done.

The CAN-BUS electrical system wasn't used in the first generation cruisers. That wasn't installed until 2006 when Chrysler went from two fuse boxes (interior and PDC in the engine compartment) to one all-in-one fuse box called the IPM (Integrated Power Module) which made it hard to work on or add any electrial accessories.

The instrument panel testing procedure to get all the dials and numbers to react is a little simpler than explained. Just hold the reset button in while turning the key to "ON". The numbers will start counting and you can let go of the button. All the dials (one-by-one) will test after the numbers roll through their sequence.

Just saw your post Ray. I just type too slow.

Tags
no bus, no start, security