Advertisements
Cranks no start solved

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gimcrack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cranks no start solved

My 05 base Cruiser cranked but would not start. At first no codes, then go P0522 “no oil pressure”. I changed the oil pressure sender, no help. I don’t know if that even shuts engine down but it should ignore it long enough to start. I used a spark tester (don’t hang a spark plug from wire. I blew up my PCM doing that when spark jumped) and had good spark on all 4. I found in topics they stopped putting Schrader valves on fuel rails after 03. After a trip to pick and pay I have a fuel rail with valve, verified fuel pressure is within the 59psi +/-5 spec. I verified timing belt (just replaced 10k ago) and valve timing. Tried new cam sensor, no help. Checked compression and had about 145 on all 4. So I had all the things needed to run but no codes. Checked battery cranking volts. Should not be lower than 8 volts, was right at 8. Got new battery, again no start just cranked faster. Then my son suggested checking grounds. He cleaned the ground wires next to the air box that was the fix.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 01:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Cranks no start solved

Thanks for the report. Don't you love it when it's something simple like that? Well not after throwing money and time and all your genius at it first, but hey it seems we're all in the same boat. I'm glad you figured it out!
Old 18 Jan 2013, 04:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

The PT grounding has got to be about the crappiest possible. There are several ground points on the left and right inner fenders with multiple wires all crimped on a single lug and then attached to the fender with a sheet metal screw on the painted surface. Add a little dirt, moisture, corrosion, vibration... and over time, all kinds of bizarre problems will appear.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I always check spark by leaving a plug in a wire. If you do it that way, though, it's crucial to drape a damp towel over the top of the engine. That way, the spark has no where to jump to, and it can't ignite the towel because it's damp.

Or you could do it the proper way with a spark tester
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimcrack View Post
My 05 base Cruiser cranked but would not start. At first no codes, then go P0522 “no oil pressure”. I changed the oil pressure sender, no help. I don’t know if that even shuts engine down but it should ignore it long enough to start. I used a spark tester (don’t hang a spark plug from wire. I blew up my PCM doing that when spark jumped) and had good spark on all 4. I found in topics they stopped putting Schrader valves on fuel rails after 03. After a trip to pick and pay I have a fuel rail with valve, verified fuel pressure is within the 59psi +/-5 spec. I verified timing belt (just replaced 10k ago) and valve timing. Tried new cam sensor, no help. Checked compression and had about 145 on all 4. So I had all the things needed to run but no codes. Checked battery cranking volts. Should not be lower than 8 volts, was right at 8. Got new battery, again no start just cranked faster. Then my son suggested checking grounds. He cleaned the ground wires next to the air box that was the fix.
Thanks also for the follow up could help many others out there. And no we all know your up and running again. That's make us happy to.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In the process I did discovered a block heater I never knew existed. I live in upstate NY and could have used it all these years! Anyone know if that was a factory option?
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Yep, I special ordered one in mine (2001) but have never tried it.
Tom
Old 21 Jan 2013, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I added grounds to mine - I figured it couldn't hurt.
Got a couple cables with ends from Autozone. Went from - on battery to the engine computer housing and from there to engine block.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
code p0522, cranks no start