Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Engine and parts swap out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Engine and parts swap out.

OK here we go again... I am in the process of swapping out parts from two 2001 PT cruisers. A brief description following...

The first PT cruiser has 130K+ miles with recent new timing belt remaned head and tune up... Runs fine and no problems except a recent collision with deer and guardrail ouch. Glad we had comp insurance...

The second PT is 2001 sandy storm victem which is parts car purchased through auction. This is not a car that got "wet" this is a fishbowl that was in the water deep enough to get halfway up the battery. Cosmetics on this gold fish holder are near perfect and after charging the batt and replacing the starter she fires up and purrs like a kitten (no water in the oils / tranny fluid). This PT has 36K on the clock!!!!!

Car for car they are the same color same trim with exact same options / features; Silver PT Limiteds with moonroof. I already have the sea going vessel partly torn down for dryout and inspection. The situation is as follows.

Engine and tranny NP will need cleaning to clear salt and residue.
Interior flooding up to OBD port level so everything below that got submerged.

I am interested in swapping wiring harness sockets, connectors, switches et.. et.. et... Yes I have the mechanical apptitude and time to accomplish so here goes:

If I change out the ECM, main harness, interior harness', seats with airbag modules, switchs, fuse boxes (both engine and dash), as well as all oyter under the sea components what will need to be done to or with keys / remotes (coded) instruments (odometer et..)?

Yes this is a complete strip out and restore 1 car utilizing parts from two. The joy of unibody construction is so much better than the old frame on... NOT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0664.jpg (90.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by anneslimo; 18 Jan 2013 at 09:22 am.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Engine and parts swap out.

To use your stuff in the 01 you would have to do a full swap. I take it you intend to do a body swap? What is the title deal on both? Sounds like a good clean is all the flood car needs.

More picks of both.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2013, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Pictures will follow. Titles? Both clear and clean edit; flood car is salvage title but irrelevent to the task? Body swap??? Unibody can't do like the old days...

Primary concerns are coded keys, remotes, modules with ECM and airbag module swaps. The front seats in the sea bound vessel are likely beach material so the modules / switches on those are no issue as well as the other stuff I can see but waht can't I readily see that I need to?

Last edited by anneslimo; 18 Jan 2013 at 10:07 am.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
To use your stuff in the 01 you would have to do a full swap. I take it you intend to do a body swap? What is the title deal on both? Sounds like a good clean is all the flood car needs.

More picks of both.
A good clean is exactly what is getting done however there are wiring harness connections as wells as the OBD port and assorted modules which are / were wet and as we all know electrical and water...

My intentions are to strip out the entire interior from both vehicles including dash and all trim then assembly to the clean body all the good electrical / mechanical components accordingly.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Been rebuilding cars in one form or another for 40 years. Done several fish bowels in those years. When water raises up on a car with little current. I doesn'tget iinto a lot of stuff. Especially in your case and water level only half way. If in swift water then wheel bearings and drive train come in to play. Electrical is all about drying out before powering up. Yours obviously was or the engine would have been harder to get going. If had regular title been better to save this low mileage one.
Sense the engine electricals are a little different. You will have to change the computer and harness with your motor and trans. Don't forget your vin plate.
Unibody car been here sense the 60s maybe earlier. The pt couldn't pull the extra weigh around. They are to heavy as it is. Need any questions answered just post. Will make a good addition to the members project section. Have one there myself.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 Jan 2013 at 11:10 am.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Been rebuilding cars in one form or another for 40 years. Done several fish bowels in those years. When water raises up on a car with little current. I doesn'tget iinto a lot of stuff. Especially in your case and water level only half way. If in swift water then wheel bearings and drive train come in to play. Electrical is all about drying out before powering up. Yours obviously was or the engine would have been harder to get going. If had regular title been better to save this low mileage one.
Sense the engine electricals are a little different. You will have to change the computer and harness with your motor and trans. Don't forget your vin plate.
We have also done the same and am currently buying several collectors muscle. Just brought home a 70 Challenger a 70 Chevelle SS as well as a 72 Vette. My buddy grabbed an 08 BMW 750 for a pair of nickles and hotbox started right up!! Somebody call the police!

I think you missed the details of these two PTs are identical 01s. There should be no difference in anything???

PS Not concerned about titles as this is a keeper likely to never be sold. Son is 17 and car will have 36K like new condition should get at least 8 10 years out of her and by then who cares?

Last edited by anneslimo; 18 Jan 2013 at 11:17 am.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes the 01 thing is a missed thing. Then I personally wouldn't change as much as you are planing. IMHO you won't find as much problems as you fear.
Sweet collection there. I'm not a big beammer fan. Just me. But yes a steel!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Let me clarify the project;

Taking parts from the crash car to replace elctrical and mechanical parts on the sea going vessel; ECM, fuse boxes, wiring harness', air bag modules, et et.

If I swap the ECM do I have to also swap the gauge cluster and what about the coded keys / remotes / locks/ ingintion switch et.. et..?
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneslimo View Post
Let me clarify the project;

Taking parts from the crash car to replace elctrical and mechanical parts on the sea going vessel; ECM, fuse boxes, wiring harness', air bag modules, et et.

If I swap the ECM do I have to also swap the gauge cluster and what about the coded keys / remotes / locks/ ingintion switch et.. et..?
You should be OK on all. If I'm remember the box that controls the locks is under the dash upper cover over the center radio console. Is the ecm bad in the flood car? If not might just make sure plugs are clean and dry and go with it. These are also vin programed. So you may encounter problems with the ignition and key recognition. Key fobs will controlled buy the box on the dash.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You should be OK on all. If I'm remember the box that controls the locks is under the dash upper cover over the center radio console. Is the ecm bad in the flood car? If not might just make sure plugs are clean and dry and go with it. These are also vin programed. So you may encounter problems with the ignition and key recognition. Key fobs will controlled buy the box on the dash.
It is not a question of if I have to as much as it is what I am going to replace. The ECM is questionable and my position is if I am going to do the stripped down build up I am leaving nothing to chance so anything that might be questionable is gone. Look at it as would you leave the old water pump thier if you're changing the timing belt?

Tags
electronic control module