Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser Stalled, won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2013, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Cruiser Stalled, won't start

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of issue could cause this, a short rundown for information....
My belt had been squalling a bit when cold, fairly normal, light started coming on, test indicated gas cap issue. A few days later, started it in cold weather, belt was making noise, so gave the car some gas to get it to stop, it stalled and hasn't restarted since. We are looking at the fuel pump, hoping this might be it. We have been blessed with a second duplicate cruiser so can get parts from it.

Last issue we had was a wire that caused the keyless entry to cease working along with the headlights, a 600 dollar issue, need to avoid this again, any suggestions or things we can check?

Thank you!
Jeanette
Old 19 Jan 2013, 03:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Stalled, won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramill View Post
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of issue could cause this, a short rundown for information....
My belt had been squalling a bit when cold, fairly normal, light started coming on, test indicated gas cap issue. A few days later, started it in cold weather, belt was making noise, so gave the car some gas to get it to stop, it stalled and hasn't restarted since. We are looking at the fuel pump, hoping this might be it. We have been blessed with a second duplicate cruiser so can get parts from it.

Last issue we had was a wire that caused the keyless entry to cease working along with the headlights, a 600 dollar issue, need to avoid this again, any suggestions or things we can check?

Thank you!
Jeanette
Well i believe the 04 PT has 2 main belts *correct me if im wrong* whereas the 00-03 has 3?

The timing belt.

and the serpentine belt.

The surpentine belt runs the alternator , water pump, AC and power steering.

A squeaking belt usually means it is either about to go, it is too tight, it is too loose or the tensioner is worn out.

From you stating that it was squeaking then stopped then the car stopped, and wont restart it leads me to believe one of two things happened.

#1 the serpentine belt broke, causing alternator , and water pump to stop working. which can sometimes easily stop a car from working.

#2 the timing belt snapped, which will ALWAYS stop a car from working.

Start by checking the easy one, crawl under the car in the center front on your back, and look up and right, you should be able to see some pulley wheels , around those wheels there will be a belt, tug on it gently, if it moves, your serpentine belt has broken and will need to be replaced.

If that is solid try loosening the tensioner and moving some of the pullys , they should all spin easily, if not a stuck pulley could be causing the belt to stick.

Second *bad case scenario* your timing belt broke, there are two ways to check this.

1 remove the timing belt covor, and visually inspect the belt, or remove the camshaft sensor and try to crank the engine, look inside the hole where the camshaft sensor was in and see if you can see them cams turning, IF NOT. the belt has broken .

start with those two. let us know what you find.

Also is the engine light on? if so what codes is it showing

Oh and on a side note, if one of these is broken, buy new ones :-D please do not swap them from a donor PT :-p

Last edited by pluminator; 19 Jan 2013 at 03:53 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Stalled, won't start

Which light started coming on? If it's the engine light, the computer is tryng to tell you something. Here's how to read the faults from the computer>

How to retrieve fault codes.