Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 pt cruiser turbo plug gap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 pt cruiser turbo plug gap

Hi, I got autolight xp iridium and crane wires for my 03 pt cruiser turbo autostick. The only thing not stock is the exhaust is free flowing. the car has 96,000 miles and has a stumble at red lights and seems to be eating alot of gas. It has the stock wires so im guessing it has stock plugs in it. When im stopped at a red light the oil light flickers. Im sure its because of the idle because when I put it in neutral it goes off.

I called the dealership and they said I need to gap the plugs to .050 on the 03 pt cruiser turbo. I thought .050 was for non turbo.

What would you gap the plugs?

I havent changed the plugs im waiting on you guys to reply.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 01:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt cruiser turbo plug gap

don't know but change the wires to anything but oem. that's probably where the problem is.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe it's a 40 at the moment. Haven't run into any issues with the OEM wires. So they should get replaced also. Bet you were all over that already.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I got crane wires, ive read a lot about the plug wires on these cars. I found couple of post on here where people gap to .035 does that should good or are those for modified cars?
Old 21 Jan 2013, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I split the difference and went to 0.038.
There was a tech service bulletin that reduced the stock 0.050 gap to 0.040.
The gap will widen with time.
I checked my plugs before I put them in - wide variation.
I used a small block of wood to gap - Drop the plug on the wood to close gap, hook electrode on edge and tug to widen.
Be careful with that center electrode.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Jan 2013, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks im going to go with .038 I thought i was going to get my wires in the mail today but it didn't run.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03turbo View Post
Thanks im going to go with .038 I thought i was going to get my wires in the mail today but it didn't run.
No mail delivery today...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Jan 2013, 07:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have mine at 35 with no issues

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 22 Jan 2013, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got the plugs and wires changed out today. Current the gap is set at .048 has a dead spot if you stomp it from idle in neutral for a split sec.

The plugs I pulled out where ngk platinum gap at .035 So I tryed it there at first, It had a pinging sound coming from the engine. the dead spot was bad if I just floored the throttle from idle. I pulled them out and set the gap to 40 which was ok. still had the dead spot but no more pinging sound coming from the motor. now its at .048 still with a dead spot is that normal on a turbo engine? what do you recommend i should do now?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

"Pinging" and a spark miss are two different animals. Pinging has a lot to do with the quality of the fuel and the heat range of the plug but not the gap. The reason some of us close down the plug gap less than the factory recommendation is because some of us mess around and raise the boost higher than factory. Higher boost (compression) is more resistant to spark jumping the gap so depending on your particular driving style and boost, a smaller gap may be better. There is no one-size-fits-all. There is a benefit to a bigger gap so long as it's not so big that it causes a miss. I was running a big turbo with 23/24 psi boost so, yea, a gap around .038 made sense for me.