Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
automatic shift broke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2013, 07:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default automatic shift broke?

I have a 2005 pt, automatic. Reversing out of my driveway, I went to shift into drive and it felt like something broke. The Shift stick moves freely up and down but car is stuck in reverse. I turned the car off and pushed it back into the drive way . Any help or suggestions, Is it something I could fix myself?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: automatic shift broke?

http://site.factorymoparparts.com/ca...PT-CRUISER.PDF

^^^^^look here^^^ how the parts are around the shifter

You have a cable problem?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

You can do-it-yourself easy enough if you are somewhat handy. You're going to have to remove the floor console to see what's wrong. If you're lucky, maybe some clips or screws have come apart and it's just a matter of putting things back together. Worse case you will have to replace the shifter or some part of it. There's a million Cruiser automatics out there so finding a salvage part shouldn't be too hard. I would bet they can be found on eBay on a daily basis.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

The shift linkage is under the battery tray. I would check it first to see if something come unhooked or broke.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I took the console off, it appears that that plastice piece that holds the metal pin into the cable had broken , snapped in half. I was able to find a salvage shifter on ebay, however if it was hard to put into gear wouldn't that indicate there may be an issue somewhere else? I did notice the was some residue from spilled drinks, is it possible some of the liquid from the drink traveled along the cable and gummed it up?
Old 27 Jan 2013, 01:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok, so I tried replacing the shifter unit , I broke the new piece while trying to install, The shift cable was extreme hard to move, for the few seconds the new shift box was on there. I will now have to replace the shft cable cause the clips broke on that, one , how hard is that to repleace? Any link would be hwlpful to guide me.

The other question , I know some other have had this happen as well, do you think t is just the shift cable going bad or do you think it coulb be something in the transmission ? It had roughy 110,000 with no other transmission problems. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am really close to fed up with this car
Old 27 Jan 2013, 09:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'd guess the cable is bound up. It's possible, but not real likely that it's the trans itself. If you take the end off the trans, you should be able to easily move the lever through the gears. Make sure the car is blocked so it can't roll away while you're "shifting"

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!