PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Slight Oil Leak - Any ideas?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2013, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Slight Oil Leak - Any ideas?

Hello, rather new to the forum. I have been reading a lot of things on this forum for years but now I come to you asking for some help. I have a 2005 Cruiser, non-turbo, automatic with 133k miles.

A few days ago, I noticed a few quarter size oil spots on the driveway. I couldn't remember if they were there the whole time or rather new. Took a closer look and they seemed somewhat fresh. Well, then I got under the car and started to look around.

On the passenger side near the oil filter and oil pan I noticed there was a small amount of oil. I'm talking one drop hanging from where the oil filter unit and oil pan meet. I wiped it and felt around and didn't notice any drips elsewhere.

Well, being the paranoid person I am, I kept an eye on it and check it over and over. I was pulling into a gas station and noticed a trail of drops of oil. Not sure if it was from my car and curious, I checked and again just a small drop came off on a paper towel.

I drove home looked again and there was a little on the pan but nothing serious. I put a piece of cardboard under and woke up the next morning and nothing dripped. Weird.

So my question is...what could possibly be leaking? Oil filter unit? Oil pan gasket? something else?

I have searched all over this forum and other sources and it was a bit like looking at webMD. Meaning it could be a simple oil pan gasket or a crankshaft seal. (i.e. in webMD terms...you could have a cold or you could die tomorrow).

I have an appointment on Monday at the dealership but I'm trying to go in with an idea of what I could be in for.

Any help would be fantastic.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 05:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Slight Oil Leak - Any ideas?

Probably the valve cover. It's notorious for leaking after a few years, and it will drip down to that area. That's where mine was ending up, as well as around the back transmission area with some pooling on top of the tranny in back.

The other possibility is the front crank seal, but I'd check out the valve cover first since pulling off the timing belt cover is a royal pain.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 24 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Finding drops of oil on the pavement in a gas station is like finding water in Lake Huron. Now, if there were a trail of oil drops leading into your driveway, that could be cause for concern. An eight year old car with 133k can be expected to drip a few drops of oil IMHO. Don't know where you are located but it is real cold here and it is not unheard of for an oil filter to loosen up slightly in the cold as everything contracts...check it out.
Vlefaive likes this.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

lol I've been lurking this sight for years as well, shame we're here for the same problem.

Good luck at the dealer on Monday, let us know how you make out.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well....not a good day. Just had my appointment at the dealership and got a laundry list of items that are wrong. The oil leak is result of bad crank seal, bad cam seals, timing belt needs to be changed (134k miles on the car), water pump and pressure hose for power steering. Along with some shocks in the back.

Grand total...$2,400.

I am in a tough spot. Do I spend $2,400 on a 2005 with 134k miles or put that towards another vehicle that is newer and with less miles. Would hate to have a car payment but would hate to put in 2k+ and have the car only last another year. Decisions...Decisions.

Just wanted to follow up on my post.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 02:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

IMHO, if I were in your place ? An '05 can still give you lots of years if all else is well enough ... I'd shop a bit, but yes the timing belt is key.. maybe start with that and sweat a small oil leak later ?
I've used Eagle stopleak, and damn if it didn't work . .( it conditions your seals ) and is $10 here in Canada
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the follow up.

Well... the timing belt is overdue for replacement...this is a priority...the timing belt driven water pump and timing belt tensioner are changed at the same time as precaution...the labor here is the thing that drives the cost up...you don't want to change the timing belt only to have the water pump fail 5000 miles later. The crank and cam seals are cheap and if everything is all apart for the timing belt change, it isn't that much more work to replace these seals... negotiate on this point. If the high pressure power steering hose is showing signs of failure, replace it...failure is not uncommon. Rear shocks are not a big deal...can be a diy thing if you are qualified.

At this point in the life of a car, stuff is going to start to happen...it's maintenance vs a car payment.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 03:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD3 View Post
Well....not a good day. Just had my appointment at the dealership and got a laundry list of items that are wrong. The oil leak is result of bad crank seal, bad cam seals, timing belt needs to be changed (134k miles on the car), water pump and pressure hose for power steering. Along with some shocks in the back.

Grand total...$2,400.

I am in a tough spot. Do I spend $2,400 on a 2005 with 134k miles or put that towards another vehicle that is newer and with less miles. Would hate to have a car payment but would hate to put in 2k+ and have the car only last another year. Decisions...Decisions.

Just wanted to follow up on my post.
i would go for it.

The biggest 3 car killers that end things up in junkards are timing belts, water pumps and head gaskets.

If you have the pump and belt done, that should give you another 100k until you need to do them again *roughly*.

And if you dont over heat her, your head will stay intact :-)

No reason to ditch a good car because she requires a little TLC. thats how cars go extinct didnt ya know :-) *on a second thought, yes everyone junk their pts, your just driving the rarity and value of mien higher :-D*

Try out Lucas Oil Stop Leak. i had a subaru with a bad head, leaked oil well pissed oil out the back of the motor, 1qt of lucas in a normal oil change, leak stopped :-p
Old 28 Jan 2013, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the feedback and support. I have been leaning towards getting her in tiptop shape. Just needed a little PT love.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 05:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD3 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback and support. I have been leaning towards getting her in tiptop shape. Just needed a little PT love.
i put $7k into my 03 PT base. Hurt along the way, really hurt haha. But now she has NO issues, and is basically a new car :-D its worth it haha